Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding >

binding

binding

Old 04-12-2017, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I usually only leave an inch. This gives you about a quarter inch binding. Here's a good tutorial:
http://cluckclucksew.com/2014/01/bin...uilt-back.html
This is a good tutorial, except! ! ! That way the edge of the quilt has only one layer of fabric. Any quilt judge will tell you that's a no-no.

I leave at least a little more than one inch of the back. Then I tuck any excess under the bat. I try to mark the back where I want the fold to be. Usually it is less than 1/2 inch, depending on type of batt. I made one like that last month and mitered the corners with a seam. I folded the corner of the back on the diagonal and sewed from the very corner of the quilt to the place where the back will be turned under. That's probably less than 1/2 inch. This needs to be well back-stitched. Then I trimmed out the excess fabric, turned it right side out and tucked the seam allowance under. Perfect corners with no bulk.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

That way the edge of the quilt has only one layer of fabric. Any quilt judge will tell you that's a no-no.
This silly quilt police rule needs to be changed. I have quilts that are years old, been washed and dried many many times with single fold binding and the binding looks fine. The single fold binding is not stuffed full either. The quilts that have double fold bias stuffed binding are fraying and showing wear on the binding. I seldom use double fold bias binding anymore. Too fussy and not necessary.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:28 AM

If I were going to use the backing as binding, I would cut it wider so I could fold it first so I would still end up with a double layer of binding over the quilt edges. This would also give a finished edge to the side of the binding to be sewn down to the quilt top.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
If I were going to use the backing as binding, I would cut it wider so I could fold it first so I would still end up with a double layer of binding over the quilt edges. This would also give a finished edge to the side of the binding to be sewn down to the quilt top.
That's right. And tuck that excess back under the batt. That way it is out of your way and produces two layers of fabric over the edge.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
This is the way I do it.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:57 AM

I love binding mine this way. I leave about 2 inches, fold 1 over, then the 2nd one on top of the quilt. I also leave a little edge (about 1/4") of batting and it makes the binding a little puffy. Fold over, touch with Elmer's glue and a hot iron, use wonder clips, and let sit for a while, doesn't have to be too long. Then stitch from the top with a reverse blanket sewing machine stitch on my Babylock. I really like this finish. Don't know about how long they last as I've only been making them about 10 years. Have given most of them away!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:57 PM

I also use the back to front binding. It takes much less time than traditional binding (even machine sewn) but looks very nice. Since my quilts don't end up in quilt shows or contests I really don't care what the quilt police think. I've never had one returned because the binding isn't traditional. And it allows me to make more quilts for charity by doing it this way.