Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding too wide--Need input >

Binding too wide--Need input

Binding too wide--Need input

Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 AM

Still working on baby quilt for my niece's first child who arrived in February. I made bias binding and didn't realize it was too wide until after I sewed it onto the front. When I wrap it to the back, keeping the width the same both front and back, the binding’s not filled to the edge. If I pull it tight to the back, the back binding will be at least 1/2 inch wider than the front binding and I'll have to mitre it on the back "corners" to get it to fit. I could fold it under on the back to get the right width but the extra bulk will make the edge "harder" and less drapy. Or I could take it off, cut 1 inch off the width and resew it. Any other ideas? What would you do?

Pieced top, flannel batting and backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200481[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200475.jpe  
Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 AM

For this project, I wouldn't let it bother me if the width of binding showing on the back of the quilt is bigger than the front. Rembember, it's not in a judged quilt show. Next time, I would just cut the binding more narrow.

The quilt looks adorable, by the way!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Either take it off and cut it narrower or try sewing a 1/2" seam instead of the 1/4" you have already sewn :D:D:D
Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

There's no reason why you can't have your front and back binding at different widths, is there? Just be sure to fold it fully over, so that it is "full". To miter at the corners, fold into place and do a few stitches along the edge of the pleat to hold it in place.

Nice touch ... the stripes on the bias!
And please do show us the whole quilt!! :)

Originally Posted by amma
Either take it off and cut it narrower or try sewing a 1/2" seam instead of the 1/4" you have already sewn :D:D:D
This is what I would do.

Seeing as you have already sewed it to the front couldn't you fold it out, press it, measure and mark the amount needed to be removed and then fold to the back, pin it under and sew? Remember to leave enough to tuck under when you pin it to the back. Make sense?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:33 AM

That's a good possibility, too. I wonder if I'd have problems on the rounded "corners". I could probably baste a running stitch to help keep the 2 layers together while easing them around the curve... Thanks for the idea!
Originally Posted by quilter2theend
Seeing as you have already sewed it to the front couldn't you fold it out, press it, measure and mark the amount needed to be removed and then fold to the back, pin it under and sew? Remember to leave enough to tuck under when you pin it to the back. Make sense?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DoxieMom
That's a good possibility, too. I wonder if I'd have problems on the rounded "corners". I could probably baste a running stitch to help keep the 2 layers together while easing them around the curve... Thanks for the idea!
Originally Posted by quilter2theend
Are your corners not square?
Hard to see in the pic, but I thought they were.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:52 AM

I would just resew the seam a little bigger. I always sew my binding at 3/8ths anyway.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 AM

I would *have* to re-do it. :D (that's just me :lol: )

After removing it, cut the binding to 2.5" wide and reattach it .. that way I wouldn't have corner issues or joining issues :D

A little tip I use is .. when I start stitching my binding on I stitch approximately 3-4 inches, take it off the machine and fold over to see where it *hits* .. if it's more than I want I increase my seam .. if it's not enough
to cover the stitches, decrease the seam ... then start stitching again ... HTH :D