Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Weighted Quilt/Blanket >
  • Weighted Quilt/Blanket

• Weighted Quilt/Blanket

Old 05-29-2011, 02:05 PM

My SIL has asked me to make a "weighted blanket" for my autistic niece who is hyper sensitive. It is supposed to comfort her in stressful times, like during storms.
    Has anyone heard of them, or possibly have made them?
    Old 05-29-2011, 02:12 PM
    Power Poster

Thinking of Temple Grandin's story .... I'm thinking you want a really heavy batting, so that it weights down on your niece and helps her feel like she is being hugged tightly by it. And this is only a guess

Being that your SIL has asked, does she not have detials?
    Also, you could contact the different autistic organizations to find out more.
    Old 05-29-2011, 02:17 PM

On one of the Autistic forums, one mother said that the quilt should be VERY heavy, close to what the child weighs. Seems that the more weight the more protected they feel.

The mother really should have details on this, and what colors the child likes/responds to most. And I think that different fabrics will be better, rough and smooth, soft and hard, more of a touching type of quilt.
    Old 05-29-2011, 02:23 PM

There are several related threads on here.

Just click on the Search button at the top of this page, and put in Autism Weighted Quilts.

Good Luck on your search.
    Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 PM

Some links for this ... I have purchased some of the poly beads to try this out for my (now grown) daughter, she doesn't have autism but does have sensory issues and a lot of trouble sleeping.

My middle daughter, who is a behaviour therapist for children with autism, says these are very effective! They even have weighted belts to help calm the kids.

http://craftnectar.com/2009/09/03/ca...hted-blankets/

http://www.crapivemade.com/2010/01/w...-tutorial.html

http://www.davidsblanket.com/downloa...structions.pdf
    Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Google/Bing 'weighted blanket'. I can't find my links otherwise I'd send them to you. What I have read you should use poly beads. Jo-anns, Hobby Lobby, Michaels has them in 4 pound bags. They should be childs weight minus 5-8 pounds. Some make bags and put into a shell, others sew them into a shell like the puffy quilts (only not as puffy). They need to be washable. Others use beans, or rice, but these have to be removable from the covers to be washed.

The idea behind is that Autistic people (helps Autistic adults too) need to have a sensory out let and the weight gives that to them.

What I have read they are remarkable for helping.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:05 PM

I have a 12 yr old autistic grandson. I want to make him a weighted quilt & I wanted to use the jig saw puzzle pattern as that is the logo for Autism. I especially want to use different textures...like minky.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
    My SIL didn't have many details when she called me, she had just left a therapy session with my niece when she called me and asked had I heard of them, and would I be willing to try to make one.

Poly beads, I was wondering what in the world you would use to weight the blanket. I'll do more research, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Collector
    I have a 12 yr old autistic grandson. I want to make him a weighted quilt & I wanted to use the jig saw puzzle pattern as that is the logo for Autism. I especially want to use different textures...like minky.
    Bring samples of the different textures. Make sure he is okay with the feel of each different texture you use. Depending on the severity of the autism and the specific symptoms he displays, you may also need to get feedback on the color. One of the kids I know with autism hated all colors but blues and refused to wear blue jeans (due to texture issues) and he presented with milder autism
    Old 05-29-2011, 04:00 PM

I am a chapter coordinator for Project Linus in my area. We have made over 450 weighted blankets in the last 3 years. We have a pattern that use 2-1yard pieces of fabric. We make tubes and then stuff the tubes with sheets/bath blankets/old towels. I work with occupational therapists in the medical sector as well as the public schools and the recommended weight is 10% of the child's body weight plus 1 pound. The child needs to feel the weight to feel swaddled and secure. If you need any help, please pm me. I have several unfilled blanket shells that are made, just need to be stuffed. All that is required is the postage of $5 for flat rate shipping. Diane