Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binding tool & Blade sharpener

Binding tool & Blade sharpener

I just stumbled onto a tutorial on how to use a binding tool. I've never seen or heard of a binding tool, but it did look rather handy. Do many of you use them, and is it worth getting one? Also, I know this came up on the board a while back, but I don't remember what all was said: do those rotary blade sharpeners I see for $19.99 at Joann's really work and are they worth the investment? As you all know, every penny counts these days, and I'd rather be spending on fabric than tools that don't work.
    Thank you all for your help!
    Bless, O Lord, the works of my hands....

P. C.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about the binding tool, but I have a blade sharpner from JoAnns and another one. For me, save your money. This sounds weird, but I use a knife sharpner, you have to be really careful, but it does the job. My knife sharpner is one that has a slot where you can put the blade in, and move it very slow until it is sharpened.

Blog Entries
    Blade sharpeners have been a waste of money for me. I just buy new blades in bulk when they are on sale, or on eBay.

There are many different binding tools. I don't find them at all necessary to apply binding. There are several really good methods that don't require a tool. Often I can find a good, short video of a technique on Youtube.

I ditto what has been said so far - I have actually bought a "binding" tool which was so easy to use on the tutorial but once I got it in the mail I could not figure it out. So save your money and find a tutorial on how to do your binding -- they are so much better "tool" then any piece of plastic you can buy.

Blog Entries
    I bought the electric sharpener by Grace Frame Co. Yes it was pricey, but sure does work. I'm glad I saved all my old blades - now I am sharpening them all and they are all like brand new - except if they have nicks. I got mine through Joann.com on sale. If not on sale, I'm sure you can use a coupon. The stores don't have them only .com

Blog Entries
    Not happy with the $19.95 blade sharpener from JoAnns. Rather go out and purchace new blades when on sale or have coupons. Did find a plastic jar that the "stone" part of the sharpener set on and that kind of helped a little but still not real impressed. Haven't tried a binder tool. Rather do it by hand because never know for sure what kind of binding will be going on a quilt. Do up a lot of charity quilts for veterans. Love them veterans, let's give our veterans a standing ovation and thank them every chance we get. (sorry, I gets carried away).
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Binding Tutorial

I have not added a binding to any of my projects yet so I haven't looked for tools. I've just bought my first rotary and spare blades, so I can't advise you there either. Sorry, however, I found a great tutorial on Connecting Threads website (under the free patterns tab); I'll add it to this to make it easier for all.

Hope this helps.
    Evelyn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    I have a blade sharpener that I bought at Walmart back in 1996. It is called "Quilter's Dual Rotary Blade Sharpener". It's made by a company "The Quiltery". It works okay. I just recently purchased "The Binding Tool" by Susan Brown. I bought mine from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. I have not had an opportunity to use it, however. When I do, I will let you know. I bought it to use it on my Project Linus Quilts. Good Luck.

Have a blessed day.

debra
    cny_sewer39

Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time...

There are several binding tools. If it is the one called the Binding Tool with a slant on one end with the letter L at the tip, then I say buy it. That's the tool I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    There are several binding tools. If it is the one called the Binding Tool with a slant on one end with the letter L at the tip, then I say buy it. That's the tool I love.
    DITTO! In fact, I thought I was buying one and ended up buying "one case" instead. So if any of you want one, pm me. $8 plus a little shipping
    ~Laura

Wise words from my 7 year old niece: "Aunt Laura, you must think you can't have too much fabric like a pizza can't have too much cheese." Well said, Gracie!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast