Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bindings >

Bindings

Bindings

Old 07-31-2014, 04:20 PM

Default Bindings

So far in my quilting career I have only made 13 quilts and on every one of them I have put the binding on backwards by folding it to the front rather than the back. Until today I was so please with each quilt and while knowing they weren't perfect I knew I had done the very best job I could. However, it was a real downer this afternoon when reading an article about binding quilts I discovered that all of my my quilts had a major mistake. All but one of these quilts have been gifted. I still have #13 with the backwards binding completed. Since I hand sew my bindings using a blind stitch should I take the binding for #13 out and correct my mistake or just look the other way and do things right on future quilts? As an FYI, #13 is a queen size quilt.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

If your binding looks okay and is functional, then there is nothing wrong with it. You just found a non-standard (but definitely not wrong) way to do it. And I'm sure you're not the only one who does it that way.

There are many people who machine quilt the entire binding, and many of them sew it to the back first. Other people leave enough of the backing to turn to the front and hand sew it there.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:29 PM

There's nothing wrong with doing it the way you have done it!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:32 PM

If you like the quilts the way they are, there is absolutely no reason to tear out the binding. While there are many different ways to put on binding, none of them are 100% right and none are 100% wrong. I machine stitch binding to the front, flip it to the back and glue down, then machine SITD from the front. Lots of quilters won't machine stitch, sewing the second part by hand. I do what works for me and so should you. Don't beat yoursef up or feel like you failed because you did something different.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:32 PM

Since you sew the binding down with a blind stitch I bet they look just fine and unless you are really worried about it I wouldn't rip out all the binding you have already sewn on. You haven't had any complaints? Your recipients were likely tickled pink to get a quilt from you. Be proud of your work and switch to the standard way on your next one.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:36 PM

There is no right and wrong way to do a binding. Don't even think about it being wrong. Everyone has their own way of doing things and yours happened to be hand sewing to the front. I'll bet they are beautiful too.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:40 PM

Remember, there IS no quilting police...do what brings you satisfaction and joy. I only do machine binding, always square corners, and sew the back first then put a decorative stitch on the front to secure down. That's my way, and I'm sticking to it...not a single person has ever complained about the quilts that are gifted to them. Enjoy the process.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Not wrong at all, just untraditional. As long as it looks good and works there shouldn't be any problem.

Do not beat yourself up over this unnoticeable method.
peace
Old 07-31-2014, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

Many an antique quilt was bound by turning the backing to the front and hand stitching it to the front. Another method was the binding was sewn to the front and hand sewn to the back but that is no longer the only way to do binding now. Unless it is going into competition someplace, don't worry about it. I have made many quilts and machine sewn the binding to the back and used a fancy stitch machine stitch on the front. I have also used the QB tutorial by Charisma under Quick Machine binding with flange.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Oh for goodness sake, there is nothing "backward" about your method. It's just a different one of many. Keep doing them the way you want. I"m sure they are wonderful.