Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Black batting >

Black batting

Black batting

Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I wish they made black poly batting, if not yet. I bought black batting from connecting threads , not sure what it is made of. I plan to make another quilt with a black background and don't like the white color bleeding through.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:27 AM

What color is the background on the front with the applique? If that is black, then yes, I would strongly consider it. That said I have made a lot of quilts and never used anything other than white/cream or natural (wool or cotton) and never seen bearding issues. And I've had plenty of black sashings, borders, and pieces within the quilts, though no mostly black quilt.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I wish they made black poly batting, if not yet. I bought black batting from connecting threads , not sure what it is made of. I plan to make another quilt with a black background and don't like the white color bleeding through.
they do. Quilters Dream makes a 100% black poly. They call it Midnight dreams. But it is unlike any other poly I have ever used. In loft and texture it feels more like a cotton blend. It is wonderful batting.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 AM

Last month I ordered a Midnight Dream batt from Keepsake Quilting in king size for my mother. I thought it was reasonably priced.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
What color is the background on the front with the applique? If that is black, then yes, I would strongly consider it. That said I have made a lot of quilts and never used anything other than white/cream or natural (wool or cotton) and never seen bearding issues. And I've had plenty of black sashings, borders, and pieces within the quilts, though no mostly black quilt.
The blocks are black/charcoal print. Only the applique and a little trim is color. I really wanted to try the new Hobbs 80 percent cotton and 20 percent wool batt, but it doesn't come in black. Whether it would beard or show through I don't know and I probably shouldn't take the chance. I don't use poly, so it looks like a black 80/20 cotton poly is the choice I have. Another consideration is that this quilt is a decorative spread rather than a functional quilt, so isn't likely to be washed very much.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:58 PM

I'm not sure if it's still going on or not, but I just got a black batting from Connecting Threads that was 30% off! I got a very good deal! If it's still going on, it may be over at midnight tonight, so check it out right away if that's how you're planning to go.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

The Hobbs black batting from connecting threads is a very nice batting to use, the dream company black is also. I've used both many times - us has keep a couple on hand when I can find sales. I've never had a problem with bearding and have used natural colored battings in black quilts before too. You didn't say if you are hand or machine quilting, I don't know if it makes a difference with the bearding situation. I machine quilt.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:47 PM

I've not specifically tried black batting but I have used inexpensive black fleece that I got several bolts of when it was on clearance. It has worked very well.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:08 PM

This is interesting. Did the Amish use black batting? Did they even make it long ago.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
This is interesting. Did the Amish use black batting? Did they even make it long ago.
I too would be interested to know if the Amish currently use black batting and if they did in the past.