Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a question about copyrights >

I have a question about copyrights

I have a question about copyrights

Old 02-18-2015, 01:51 PM

Default I have a question about copyrights

I have read both of the recent threads on copyright laws that were both closed to comment before I could read or post my question, so I am asking it here. If buying a pattern, for a quilt, only gives you the right to make it, but not to display it, what do they assume we will do with it? I refuse to buy anymore quilt patterns, if all I can do is make their exact quilt, give them credit, and hide it in a closet. The few quilt patterns I have used, were used with my choice of fabrics, my interpretation of their pattern, and given with the assumption that they will be used and displayed in the home of the receiver? Did I violate those copyrights? (For the record I have told anyone who asked that I did use Eleanor Burns pattern, but if they are displayed at home, or photos of it are put on facebook by the recipient, is that a violation?) I guess the safest way to proceed is to just not buy patterns, then if I inadvertently copy something in a pattern, it is their problem to prove it.
What I don't get is that clothing styles are copyrighted, but we can have a garage sale, and sell those same clothes, but that is ok! Could somebody tell me what I am reading or believing in error?
Old 02-18-2015, 02:36 PM

Okay, first off this is my understanding of copyrighted quilt patterns. Almost all patterns state that they are for personal use. You are free to make that quilt and keep it for yourself, give it away or even enter it into a quilt show. (and of course that means it is perfectly fine to display it on walls) Now here is what Quiltmaker says about the use of their patterns.

"No one may copy, reprint or distribute any of the patterns or material in this magazine for commercial use without permission of Quiltmaker. Templates and patterns may be photocopied as necessary to make quilts for personal use only. Quilts made from any element of a Quiltmaker pattern may be publicly displayed at quilt shows or donated to charity with credit given appropriately."
Old 02-18-2015, 04:05 PM

So basically the problem only exists when a pattern is copied and distributed, or a pattern is used and not giving credit to the designer?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
So basically the problem only exists when a pattern is copied and distributed, or a pattern is used and not giving credit to the designer?
Yes, if you make a copy or copies of a pattern and then give or even try to sell it to your friend or members of your quilt guild that would be infringing on the copyright. If you enter the quilt in a quilt show the designer should be credited and not be claimed as your original design.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 PM

I have a question-if someone loses her copy of a quilt pattern and wants you to make a copy of the one you have or borrow yours, it that a violation of the copy right laws?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:44 PM

Ironically Bonnie Hunter has information regarding this topic on YouTube, I watched her quilt cam live and she was explaining this in a way that I think will clear things up for those of us who have questions about this. I think it would be simpler for you to watch it than to have any misinformation or even misinterpretation being that she is a designer. It wasn't the last quilt cam but the previous one you don't even have to watch the whole thing to get what she is talking about. I only watched a bit maybe half hour or so then moved on, I know she was making a four patch in a square.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
I have a question-if someone loses her copy of a quilt pattern and wants you to make a copy of the one you have or borrow yours, it that a violation of the copy right laws?
Yes it is against copyright to make your friend, who lost hers, a copy of the pattern. Only the copyright owner has the right to make a copy, for any reason. That's why it's called a "copy right".
Old 02-19-2015, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I also noticed that fabric I bought at JAF has copyright laws on the selvage. I find these chats to be fascinating and interesting. I can understand that you should NOT post someone else photo because it is not yours but should be able to post the address of where the photo is located. I should be able to display any quilt that I have made that is mine.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
Okay, first off this is my understanding of copyrighted quilt patterns. Almost all patterns state that they are for personal use. You are free to make that quilt and keep it for yourself, give it away or even enter it into a quilt show. (and of course that means it is perfectly fine to display it on walls) Now here is what Quiltmaker says about the use of their patterns.

"No one may copy, reprint or distribute any of the patterns or material in this magazine for commercial use without permission of Quiltmaker. Templates and patterns may be photocopied as necessary to make quilts for personal use only. Quilts made from any element of a Quiltmaker pattern may be publicly displayed at quilt shows or donated to charity with credit given appropriately."
It seems the key word in the above "warning" is commercial.......so I read I can make copies of contents of that mag and distribute to guild members for personal use, if I choose to..... Doesn't commercial mean exchange of goods/ money.....
Reason I ask...am librarian of local guild....would like to share a project as a sew day project....
Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
It seems the key word in the above "warning" is commercial.......so I read I can make copies of contents of that mag and distribute to guild members for personal use, if I choose to..... Doesn't commercial mean exchange of goods/ money.....
Reason I ask...am librarian of local guild....would like to share a project as a sew day project....
That is my take on it too. The key word is commercial. Now as to coping to distribute to guild members for a guild project, BOM, challenge, etc., I feel that could be where the statement of asking permission from Quiltmaker or the designer comes into play. It's just a matter of a simple e-mail and courtesy.