View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 01:51 PM
madamekelly

Default I have a question about copyrights

I have read both of the recent threads on copyright laws that were both closed to comment before I could read or post my question, so I am asking it here. If buying a pattern, for a quilt, only gives you the right to make it, but not to display it, what do they assume we will do with it? I refuse to buy anymore quilt patterns, if all I can do is make their exact quilt, give them credit, and hide it in a closet. The few quilt patterns I have used, were used with my choice of fabrics, my interpretation of their pattern, and given with the assumption that they will be used and displayed in the home of the receiver? Did I violate those copyrights? (For the record I have told anyone who asked that I did use Eleanor Burns pattern, but if they are displayed at home, or photos of it are put on facebook by the recipient, is that a violation?) I guess the safest way to proceed is to just not buy patterns, then if I inadvertently copy something in a pattern, it is their problem to prove it.
What I don't get is that clothing styles are copyrighted, but we can have a garage sale, and sell those same clothes, but that is ok! Could somebody tell me what I am reading or believing in error?