Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black on Black

Northwestern Lower Michigan/Seminole, Florida

Black on Black

I am handquilting a quilt with a black background using black thread. What was I thinking!!! I have done enough that I
    really don't want to take it out and use a different color of thread but I am having a hard time seeing what I am doing.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you are going to wash the quilt when you are finished, then run chalk over the thread as you quilt it. It will show up as colored thread, but it will be temporary. It should be much easier to see. You can use white or any color - sidewalk chalk, blackboard chalk, any of it will wash out.

I make sure I have good lighting where I'm quilting, so I can see the tip of the needle coming up. When the thread matches I don't worry too much what it looks like - if I can't see it, no one else can either.

Janet

Having done a great deal of black on black applique , the best method I found was to lightly rub white chalk around the applique, or in your case in the area you want to quilt. The pounce chalk ( white) can also be used , and it dissappears with a hot iron.

I'm also in the process of hand quilting a black background with black thread. My only suggestion is quilt during the day with good daylight or really good lighting at night.

Have your light come from an angle so there is a slight shadow thrown by the thread. I use Sulky's 'Almost Black' (#1234) thread when working with black fabrics (and I do use a lot of black fabrics). It's perfect and I never forget the shade number.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    I make sure I have good lighting where I'm quilting, so I can see the tip of the needle coming up. When the thread matches I don't worry too much what it looks like - if I can't see it, no one else can either.

Janet
    This is great advice!
    Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.-Groucho Marx

Agree with the GOOD light. I am handquilting a two tone green quilt with dark green. I love it on the light green but when I get to the dark green I am ready to scream.. I am okay as long as I have an extra bright light over my left shoulder.

I find even machine sewing at night or in dim light is more of a challenge, especially at night. I use lots of lighting. As one ages you need more light.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

What a good idea. I learned something new again today. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast