Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Black, white and ? Challenge >

Black, white and ? Challenge

Black, white and ? Challenge

Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 AM

A few months ago I said I was going to suggest this to my Guild for the 2011 Challenge Quilt. I got the following information from LindaG:

"Thanks for asking. We had fun with this one. In advance, I removed the black, white, cream and a few other "boring" crayons. Everyone drew a crayon from a paper bag and we recorded the names of the colors each one had pulled so there'd be no swapping!

Whatever crayon was pulled had to be the dominant color in the fabrics used, combined with black and white fabrics to make a quilted item - no size limits. We had everything from king quilts to handbags, jackets and table runners and a couple of three dimensional quilted items.

I pulled hot pink - and pinks are my LEAST favorite! I made a quilt for a friend who LOVES pink!

Have fun with it!

We pulled crayons in Sept., and the project was due at the June meeting.

Everyone was asked not to discuss their project with anyone during the year and to bring in their completed project in a brown paper bag, and behind sheets we hung in the back of our room, we hung them and assigned each one a number.

Everyone voted, we tallied the votes and gave out just one prize for the guild favorite. Then for "the reveal," we asked everyone to go and stand in front of their project. You may want to have a few prizes available in case of a tie!

It was fun!

Linda"

Well, in January I presented it to my Guild. Would you believe I had over 28 people sign up the first night and I had to turn people away because I ran out of crayons. I am absolutely flabbergasted at the response. I limited it to quilts only, no bags, jackets, etc.

Now I am trying to figure out how I am going to display all these quilts. We meet in a church meeting room and pretty much fill the place up with chairs. My only thought was to ask the church to use the sanctuary and drape the quilts over the pews and have everyone just walk up the aisle and down the side to vote.

So, if you decide to do this, expect a hugh turnout.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Wow, this sounds like so much fun. I wonder how we could do this on the board? Showing the quilts for voting would be the hard part
Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by sandybeach
A few months ago I said I was going to suggest this to my Guild for the 2011 Challenge Quilt. I got the following information from LindaG:

"Thanks for asking. We had fun with this one. In advance, I removed the black, white, cream and a few other "boring" crayons. Everyone drew a crayon from a paper bag and we recorded the names of the colors each one had pulled so there'd be no swapping!

Whatever crayon was pulled had to be the dominant color in the fabrics used, combined with black and white fabrics to make a quilted item - no size limits. We had everything from king quilts to handbags, jackets and table runners and a couple of three dimensional quilted items.

I pulled hot pink - and pinks are my LEAST favorite! I made a quilt for a friend who LOVES pink!

Have fun with it!

We pulled crayons in Sept., and the project was due at the June meeting.

Everyone was asked not to discuss their project with anyone during the year and to bring in their completed project in a brown paper bag, and behind sheets we hung in the back of our room, we hung them and assigned each one a number.

Everyone voted, we tallied the votes and gave out just one prize for the guild favorite. Then for "the reveal," we asked everyone to go and stand in front of their project. You may want to have a few prizes available in case of a tie!

It was fun!

Linda"

Well, in January I presented it to my Guild. Would you believe I had over 28 people sign up the first night and I had to turn people away because I ran out of crayons. I am absolutely flabbergasted at the response. I limited it to quilts only, no bags, jackets, etc.

Now I am trying to figure out how I am going to display all these quilts. We meet in a church meeting room and pretty much fill the place up with chairs. My only thought was to ask the church to use the sanctuary and drape the quilts over the pews and have everyone just walk up the aisle and down the side to vote.

So, if you decide to do this, expect a hugh turnout.
This sounds like a really fun challenge. I would definitely use the box of 96 crayons!!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM

This sounds like a really FUN challenge to participate in!!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:07 PM

That does sound FUN! I've always loved looking at all the pretty colors in a new box of crayons. And I think mixing with black & white would be really eye-popping.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:17 PM

What a great idea! I would love to see the quilted results!
Maureen