Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Block of the Month for a fee? >

Block of the Month for a fee?

Block of the Month for a fee?

Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 AM

I agree....Every time I see a BOM that I love I total the cost for the year and quickly change my mind. I get the convenience, but it is too expensive for me.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:31 AM

BOM's offered by my LQS have always been inspiring but the cost of them has always detered me. My friend who always participates has ended up with some beautiful but I think pricey quilts. My quilt guild also offers a BOM and it is stunning too and free so that is the one I participate in. There are ways to participate in a BOM without spending a fortune.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:52 AM

I am currently doing one online that had fees attached. It is expensive, but, life has gotten extremely busy of late, leaving very little time for quilting. I thought that by having one block to do each month, I might be more likely to actually complete things. I thought it might help me stay on track. I know it costs more, but I'm willing to pay it.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I am currently doing one online that had fees attached. It is expensive, but, life has gotten extremely busy of late, leaving very little time for quilting. I thought that by having one block to do each month, I might be more likely to actually complete things. I thought it might help me stay on track. I know it costs more, but I'm willing to pay it.
that's a really good point you make-good project for limited space too!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:23 PM

I have admired the online BOM but havent done them because of the price and my budget. I also have a little concern if I make a mistake is their extra fabric to compensate. I have done BOM at my LQS and made a mistake or 2 and just purchased a fat quarter or made a change or two.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
Really?

How many of you participate financially in these offerings? I see them around and am rather blown away by what seems to me to be a rather high price-- a sign up fee and then a monthly fee?

For those of you who do participate, what value do you find in these products?

Help me understand.
Thanks.
Ok, I know on the internet we can't hear how people say things but when I read the first part "Really?" my first response was to think, why on earth do I have to justify my purchases to anybody? It came across a bit forward.

However, in the interest of helping others to understand I will answer as best I can.

I love online BOMs. I really do. While we are blessed to have a local quilt shop, the selection is geared towards tourists...there are a lot of northern fabrics and when something new and different comes it whomever gets to the quilt shop first wins LOL. So to broaden my quilting horizons, a couple of years ago I joined an online BOM and just loved it. First, there wasn't an initial sign up fee, just the monthly fee for the kit. I got to play with fabrics I hadn't seen before, I got to work on a project that is only available as a BOM and included a lot of things I hadn't done before, applique, stitchery, etc. The kits were very reasonable, fabrics and threads and needles and extras. We got to meet as a group through the shop's message board, the owner giving us a video tutorial on the block. We got to be friends with the other BOMers in the group which is just perfect as I live pretty much out in the boonies so being part of a group is fun.

It is an absolute treat to get a package in the mail every month, like it's my birthday or Christmas.

I've now been in 5 BOMs and just about to start my 6th. I just received my first package for the latest and can't wait to start playing with the stitchery portion, so many pretty WDW threads!

BOMs work for me and make me happy. What more can I ask for.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I sign up for several BOM's once a year. I only order BOM from one place after trying many. No complaints at all about their BOM program. http://www.homesteadhearth.com/ I get the pattern or book and the BOM kits every month. Usually about $30 - $40 a month. I don't remember if I pay a sign up fee or not. That doesn't matter to me if I want the BOM. I don't have to choose all the fabric per block, it's a pattern I want to make, and the fabric is high quality.

The BOM I'm getting now is the quilt as the background of this book. The book is fantastic! http://www.homesteadhearth.com/shop/...sku-QM2513.htm The fabrics are wonderful and most are Japanese linens. I'm impressed with all the fabrics for their BOM's. The fabrics not found in every quilt shop.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 07-08-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM

I don't buy them either on -line or at the LQS.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 AM

I've done 3 Civil War ones at my LQS. The cost is $30 a month, no sign up fee. Each was different as to what we got. Two of them our teacher created the blocks each month from that time frame and with each class we also go a lecture of the civil war to go along with it. I could listen to her read all night long. I had the same teacher with all three classes, one had blocks from a company. The first we did 5 to 6 6in blocks each month and we got the pattern and the fabric and the lecture, the second we did at least 2, one 9in and 1 12 1/2in block w/pattern and fabric and the 3rd was one block mostly with pattern, lecture and fabric. The teacher went over how to construct the block each month and was avaialble in the store every Friday if you needed extra help. I do feel I got my money's worth from her classes and have no regrets in taking them. I've seen others where 30 a month would be too much.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 AM

I hope I can get a picture. I did this one and LOVE it. It was pricey but I wanted all the cute special fabric elements that came with it. I think if you find one that you simply cannot resist--go for it.
Attached Thumbnails finished-rosebud-lane-top.jpg