View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM
YukonViv

Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
Really?

How many of you participate financially in these offerings? I see them around and am rather blown away by what seems to me to be a rather high price-- a sign up fee and then a monthly fee?

For those of you who do participate, what value do you find in these products?

Help me understand.
Thanks.
Ok, I know on the internet we can't hear how people say things but when I read the first part "Really?" my first response was to think, why on earth do I have to justify my purchases to anybody? It came across a bit forward.

However, in the interest of helping others to understand I will answer as best I can.

I love online BOMs. I really do. While we are blessed to have a local quilt shop, the selection is geared towards tourists...there are a lot of northern fabrics and when something new and different comes it whomever gets to the quilt shop first wins LOL. So to broaden my quilting horizons, a couple of years ago I joined an online BOM and just loved it. First, there wasn't an initial sign up fee, just the monthly fee for the kit. I got to play with fabrics I hadn't seen before, I got to work on a project that is only available as a BOM and included a lot of things I hadn't done before, applique, stitchery, etc. The kits were very reasonable, fabrics and threads and needles and extras. We got to meet as a group through the shop's message board, the owner giving us a video tutorial on the block. We got to be friends with the other BOMers in the group which is just perfect as I live pretty much out in the boonies so being part of a group is fun.

It is an absolute treat to get a package in the mail every month, like it's my birthday or Christmas.

I've now been in 5 BOMs and just about to start my 6th. I just received my first package for the latest and can't wait to start playing with the stitchery portion, so many pretty WDW threads!

BOMs work for me and make me happy. What more can I ask for.