Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: block snip mistake

Blog Entries

block snip mistake

Oh, I was so proud of my almost finished quilt. I was in the process of doing some top stitching. Blocks were finished, spray basted, and some blocks already top stitched. Yep, you guessed it...found a small snip about 1/4 inch long. How do you fix it at this point? Fray check?..don't like the spot it will leave...it's on a solid block. Rip it out and replace it with another? Applique a design? The blocks have no consistent design. Final solution is to put another block on top and sew it on. Will this work? Other solutions? I am so frustrated with it and feel it sticks out like a "sore thumb". It had gone together so well and really looked good for this ole gal. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    personally, i'd rip it out and replace with new... but that's just my personality. all of your suggestions will work... i agree that fray check would be my last choice.
    Nancy in western NY

I would probably rip it out and replace it. The other choice would be to fuse some wonder under to the right side of a piece of the same fabric and slip it into the snipped spot and fuse and then zigzag over it with invisible thread.

How disappointing!! If it were me, I think I'd replace the piece if it's still in the block stage. However, if the top were already assembled, I think I'd find a way to cover it up (but not fray check). You'll feel better once it's repaired.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    personally, i'd rip it out and replace with new... but that's just my personality. all of your suggestions will work... i agree that fray check would be my last choice.
    I agree - although Fray Check would never be my choice - I would rip it out if I could - if not use an applique.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I would either take out and replace or scatter some applique shapes over the quilt and put one on that spot.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I did this once. The quilt looked real cute with an applique right over the spot. It was done in aliens and space ships. Not sure what your fabric is or if it would work for you.

Do you do your own quilting? You could put some wonder under on the back and make sure you quilt over it. I meander so it's pretty easy for me to cover things like that.

Power Poster
    If it's still unquilted, and you have the fabric available, replace it. It won't take that much longer to do that to find something to applique over the spot.

There are other products similar to Fray Check that leave a softer edge.

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar
    Can someone tell me what fray check means?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast