Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin thread when machine quilting >

Bobbin thread when machine quilting

Bobbin thread when machine quilting

Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Banned

Default Bobbin thread when machine quilting

Hi everyone,

I finally got my courage up and I'm trying to machine quilt for the first time. I've got the starting part figured out. I bring my bobbin thread to the top, no problem. However, any directions I can find tell me to do the reverse. So, drop my stitch length, lift the pressure foot, pull the quilt away from the machine.....and then what? I don't have anything to pull to bring the bobbin thread to the top. Do I cut it from the bottom and then somehow hide it? Or, how would I bring the bobbin thread to the top to clip it? I hope this makes sense.

I truly would appreciate the wisdom of this wonderful group
Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 AM

Here's what I do - I take one stitch, bringing the take-up lever back to the top position. Lift the presser foot, hold onto the top thread, move the quilt away so you can pull up the bobbin thread. Now both threads are on the top of the quilt. Put quilt back under needle so it will go back into the same hole you originally made. Lower presser foot. Now I take several tiny stitches - if you are freemotion quilting, just move the quilt very slowly. If you are straight-line quilting with the feed dogs engaged, reduce your stitch length to about .5. Now start quilting with your regular stitch length, and when you are far enough away from your starting point, clip your threads. When ending a line of stitching, do the reverse - finish up with several tiny stitches, again bring the bobbin thread up to the top and clip.

Have fun!
Andi
Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM

If you're having problems getting the bobbin thread up to the top, make sure you're holding the loose end of the needle thread tight. I drop my presser foot, manually put the needle down and up with the wheel, lift the presser foot, hold the loose needle thread end and pull up on it until I see the little loop of the bobbin thread. I'm not adept at picking up the little bobbin loop with my fingers yet so I use the end of a pin to tug on the loop until the end comes out.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I start like the others, but once the needle goes down, then up, i slide a thin plastic [flexible] ruler under the foot and sweep outward. this brings the bobbin thread to the top where i can grab it. i like to do it this way so that i don't have to move the machine out of the way or lift the presser foot.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Banned

Thanks everyone! It's starting to make sense. You all are great!