Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin work >

Bobbin work

Bobbin work

Old 01-03-2014, 07:07 AM

Default Bobbin work

I attended a demonstration on using your decorative stitches for a crazy quilt. Bobbin work was demoed. I purchased a separate bobbin case and some decorative thread. Anyone have any experience with bobbin work?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:02 AM

Yes. I don't do it often though. I just had to get my mind around working in reverse.

Glad you got another bobbin case to mark and play around with. Otherwise when you go back to regular sewing you could have a real time balancing your tension. Also the tension screw can break from repeated use, or so I have been told.

The only downside was that I needed more bobbins as I didn't want to have to stop to wind more. the threads I used were much thicker that sewing thread.

Enjoy.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 PM

That is one technique I've never tried -- maybe it should be on my to-do list this year!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:13 PM

I did it a few years ago on my first embroidery machine, I really liked the look and keep saying I'm going to try it out on my sewing machine. I love the idea of getting a separate bobbin case for it. That's a great idea!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Gay

Love doing bobbin work, and a separate case makes it all much simpler. Now you will need heaps of bobbins for all those different 'threads', which you will no doubt collect. I have done several cot quilts using this method, on crazy quilt blocks, and have a larger one in the pipeline just using creams, beige & white. Am also thinking of using this feature on the purple DWR just started. I do have a couple of pics in my album if you'd like to check it out, no
close-ups though

Enjoy playing with this