Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bolt cardboard >

Bolt cardboard

Bolt cardboard

Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 PM

I have been using old bolt cardboard to save and store my fabrics on.
I read that the acid in the cardboard will make lines on your fabric if you store your stash on it.
I was wondering if this was true? Since I don't want to wreak all my stash .
Please help me out I know someone out there has gone through this at some time or another.
Thanks kjym Kathy
Old 03-14-2010, 12:35 AM

Don't know...
but would like to know the answer...
K
Old 03-14-2010, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by kjym
I have been using old bolt cardboard to save and store my fabrics on.
I read that the acid in the cardboard will make lines on your fabric if you store your stash on it.
I was wondering if this was true? Since I don't want to wreak all my stash .
Please help me out I know someone out there has gone through this at some time or another.
Thanks kjym Kathy
Oh I do the same thing! I have lots of fabric wrapped on the bolts.
I hope someone knows the answer.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:44 AM

I asked for empty bolts at Walmart and she said sorry-people were buying cheap fabric putting them on the expensive bots and bringing them back without a receipt and getting lots of money for cheap fabric-I even asked if there was a way to mark the bolt as empty or recycled but she said they wouldn't allow them to do that as of now. I don't know about the acid content. I am going to cut foam core board to use for mine.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:08 AM

I wouldn't think the manufacturers would want to store their fabric on the cardboard bolts if it wasn't safe to do so. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will respond. :)
Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 AM

I never use bolts as they take up too much space which I don't have. I did bring some home from Joann's but ended up throwing them out.

I use my 6 1/2" x 24" ruler to roll the fabric on, like a bolt, then slide out the ruler. I then fold the fabric into halves or thirds depending on where I am storing it. If I know the size of the fabric, I mark it with a slip of paper and put it on the inside selvage.

Otherwise, I can pretty much tell how much I have by the thickness of the fold.

This is a very neat, organized and space saving technique.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
I never use bolts as they take up too much space which I don't have. I did bring some home from Joann's but ended up throwing them out.

I use my 6 1/2" x 24" ruler to roll the fabric on, like a bolt, then slide out the ruler. I then fold the fabric into halves or thirds depending on where I am storing it. If I know the size of the fabric, I mark it with a slip of paper and put it on the inside selvage.

Otherwise, I can pretty much tell how much I have by the thickness of the fold.

This is a very neat, organized and space saving technique.
This is a great idea, and I like the foam core idea, too. Thanks gals!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:56 AM

I've read the same thing about the cardboard. Since they are not acid free they weren't good to wrap fabric on. When the factory manufacturers the fabric it is often wrap damp on the cardboard. This over time will make the white marks on the fabric. I have recently wrapped my fabric around coroplast (cut from a local sign shop). I took my 2-5 yard fabric cuts and wrapped on the boards. My smaller cuts are all folded the same width and color stacked. My larger pieces (5+ yrds), usually used for backing are stacked as well. Polarnotions.com has information on the cardboards and coroplast boards.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I've noticed that most of better fabrics are on the white bolts. I would use the white ones instead of the brown bolts to store fabric long term. I buy the Wilton coated cake boards to wrap my fabric. I get six to a package and I cut them in half and I have 12 boards for $4.50. They fit upright on the shelf and I can get 44 board on one shelf. That's with various cuts of yardage from 1 to 4 yards per board.
If after years I find white marks on the end of my fabric that touched the board then I'll just cut that part off.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:45 PM

Each Walmart must handle it differently because I got 5 or 6 from our local store. They used a black sharpie to ink out the info about the fabric. They did the same thing on the ones I got at Joannes. I have been cutting them down and getting 4 pieces from each large piece. I've seen the coroplast advertised and that looks really good but I don't know how to cut it. Do you use a regular saw or what. They look very lightweight. I'd much rather use something I've gotten for free however since that leaves more money to buy fabric.
Wendy B