Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Book to help Newbies!!

At the fabric store I bought a booklet on new quilters and Machine Quilting. This was not for owners of long arms, but for newbies to with normal sewing machine. It explained many things that we take for granted that "we" know. The magizine size booklet helped so much!!

Hints and Help like "In the Ditch" quilting.. I did not know the quilting should be on side opposite where 1/4 seem is pressed.. as they say in book... on the low side..
    all you newbies look for a book on basics.

Though I'm not just a beginner, I bought a book called "Quilter's Academy Vol. 1--Freshman Year" by Harriet Hargrave, and it's very good. It takes you step-by-step in the hows and whys, has practice projects to build skills, and even has a section on designing your own quilts. Since I'd love to get in to teaching beginners, this will be a great resource.

Oh that sounds good.. I will look for it

I'm taking a class from Harriet Hargraves in January and was looking for the book listed in her class supply list. I searched "Harriet Hargraves" at Amazon.com and both the book I needed and this book came up.

She also has her own website, and the book is listed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    Though I'm not just a beginner, I bought a book called "Quilter's Academy Vol. 1--Freshman Year" by Harriet Hargrave, and it's very good. It takes you step-by-step in the hows and whys, has practice projects to build skills, and even has a section on designing your own quilts. Since I'd love to get in to teaching beginners, this will be a great resource.
    I posted not too long ago asking if anyone had this book yet, but no one responded then, evidently no one else had it at the time. I'm glad to hear it's good. I'm hoping our library gets it, but if not I may buy it. Harriet's other books are good, so I figured this one would be, too. She and her daughter are going to publish additional books in the Quilter's Academy series.

Blog Entries
    bettyjo, somewhere in your message, I did not pick up on the title of the book for newbies, can I get you to repeat it again please?

Blog Entries
    Yes please, the name of the book :D:D:D

"Quilter's Academy Vol. 1--Freshman Year" by Harriet Hargrave,

Blog Entries
    Thanks, bluphrog, somehow I missed her saying that in her message, but I do recall you saying it in yours and I wasn't quite sure it was one in the same reference. I realize that I am out of my league hanging out with you quilters, but what other way to learn than to being with the people that know.

Blog Entries
    Thank You!!! :D:D:D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast