Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 75 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbies challenge

Blog Entries
    I would like to challenge all the "veteran" quilters on this board to find a "newbie" and adopt one. I have taken one under my wing, so to speak and I am teaching her to quilt via this board, e-mail and the phone.
    There are some "newbies" out there that would probably welcome our help and guidance and have lots of questions that maybe they are too shy to ask, or they may not know how to ask about certain things, for fear that they will be considered "dumb questions".
    So, QUILTERS,UNITE!!!

p.s. don't take butterjoy, she's mine! :lol: :D :roll:

Blog Entries
    NEWBIE UP FOR ADOPTION: Definitely need guidance. I want to become a world famous Art Quilter. Ok maybe just learn how to put on a border...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Who is considered a "Newbie" vs a 'veteran"?

I've been quilting only since last August (09), but sort of skipped the beginner quilt stage (from what others tell me), but feel I have so much to learn, while at the same time I've been 'teaching' others that are truly brand new to quilting and have never done it, or are stuck.

What I have learned or been taught is via a co-worker and here on the board.

Or am I one that is 'stuck in the middle"?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie

I've been quilting only since last August (09), but sort of skipped the beginner quilt stage (from what others tell me), but feel I have so much to learn, while at the same time I've been 'teaching' others that are truly brand new to quilting and have never done it, or are stuck.

I will join you is this spot, I started just 2 years ago, borders and mitering get me every time. I an afraid to FM Have no clue on paper piecing, don't wander off the beginner blocks.

Blog Entries
    I am not sure that I am qualified to answer that one... I have been quilting since I was very young, but if it is something I don't know the answer to, I'll find someone that can answer it for me... but in the meantime, I can help with starting someone off on the right foot... :lol: :roll:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie

I will join you is this spot, I started just 2 years ago, borders and mitering get me every time. I an afraid to FM Have no clue on paper piecing, don't wander off the beginner blocks.
    I also have no clue on pp, have wandered off the beginner blocks to design my own (simple blocks). Have not FM'd yet on anything more than wall hangings doing SITD and border stitches. My machine doesn't have a drop feet foot so can't FM. Borders I do fine with and the mitering I've got down, but slow, on the wall hangings. I'm only on my third regular bed quilt and the second one (Pin wheels) is only the top done so far.

I was very happy that quazyquilter adopted me. I absolutely claim her as my teacher. I have so much to learn. As you will notice, I just finished my first 9 patch. Today she showed me online and by phone how to make a "weaved" pattern. That was so cool!

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    I'm up for adoption!

Blog Entries
    Me first lol.

Where's my mommy?

What a great ideal....

Blog Entries
    I would love to help someone, however mitre's and FMQ are my two weaker links :wink: and I do not handquilt...
    I do love to paper piece, as well as piece and applique :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I would love to help someone, however mitre's and FMQ are my two weaker links :wink: and I do not handquilt...
    I do love to paper piece, as well as piece and applique :D:D:D
    You know more that I do. You can teach someone what you do know. I am sure there are some newbies that would like to learn anything.

Blog Entries
    Hi Amma, Do you want to be my mommy?

I did one quilt when I was in high school. One more when I was pregnant with my daughter and how have joined a quilting group.

I have a Sample Quilt 38x58 at the point where I am adding sashing and I'll be doing quilted solid blocks on the corners.

And I've bought the material for one and pattern for 3 Geisha panels that I want to make into Window Quilts.

Are you interested?

What a great idea and thread!!

I am willing to adopt someone. I do FMQ (meandering only), not to good with SID and have EQ5 software. I do not have a longarm, but know how to use one.

If I can help someone, I am willing to do all I can. Just PM me.

Banned
    I love this idea! I'm a newbie and would love to be adopted :) I'm still struggling with working out the kinks in my new machine (Janome 6600P) to be able to quilt well on it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tkhooper

I did one quilt when I was in high school. One more when I was pregnant with my daughter and how have joined a quilting group.

I have a Sample Quilt 38x58 at the point where I am adding sashing and I'll be doing quilted solid blocks on the corners.

And I've bought the material for one and pattern for 3 Geisha panels that I want to make into Window Quilts.

Are you interested?
    Daughter!!! (((HUGS))) :D:D:D:D
    PM me and we can exchange info :D:D:D:D

Blog Entries

Are you interested?
    Momma!!! (((HUGS, right back at u)))
    I sent you a PM. or two...

Blog Entries

Are you interested?
    Momma!!! (((HUGS, right back at u)))
    I sent you a PM. or two...
    stop, you're making me PIMP (Pee In My Pants, for you newbies)

Blog Entries
    I will be someone's quilt mommy..been at it for about 5 years. my FMQ is the pits..but i keep trying. so if it is just piecing,or helping with a pattern,i can do that!

What a great idea!

SO who was the next in line to be adopted?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    ok I am reading and want to be adopted, :oops:

I have been quilting, or trying, for the last 5 yrs or so. I have yet to finish a large quilt. and have been in such a hurry I feel that my lap quilts are lacking :-( . I am new to the sewing machine as of September of '09. I have tons of stash but not as much time as I would like. So I guess the biggest help I need is on encouragement, finishing a quilt, and using my machine. I have a babylock quilters choice. I still need to learn SO many things. So if you think you can help me I would be grateful! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    I need to add..I do not do Paper Piecing or Applique either..leaving that to the big girls..lol

oh yeah I have the FMQ option with my machine

Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    I need to add..I do not do Paper Piecing or Applique either..leaving that to the big girls..lol
    LOL, I am still a little girl, can't do either

I love this idea.... I would love to have an adopted mommy. I started quilting in Sept. 08 and there is so much to learn. I wish I had someone to help. I lost my mother to breast cancer when she was 53. I do FMQ cannot do Stitch in the ditch, when I made my first quilt I did the binding from a you tube video. Prior to learning about this board.
    I am a eager to learn quilter that is in need of a quilting mommy...

Okay, okay, new mommy here.....If you like my blocks, or pics that I have posted, I will be patient with you....help with what I can.....

Page 1 of 75 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast