Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 75 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1874

Thread: Newbies challenge

  1. #1
    Senior Member quazyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Vermont
    Posts
    377
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would like to challenge all the "veteran" quilters on this board to find a "newbie" and adopt one. I have taken one under my wing, so to speak and I am teaching her to quilt via this board, e-mail and the phone.
    There are some "newbies" out there that would probably welcome our help and guidance and have lots of questions that maybe they are too shy to ask, or they may not know how to ask about certain things, for fear that they will be considered "dumb questions".
    So, QUILTERS,UNITE!!!

    p.s. don't take butterjoy, she's mine! :lol: :D :roll:

  2. #2
    Super Member tkhooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gladys, VA
    Posts
    1,627
    Blog Entries
    3
    NEWBIE UP FOR ADOPTION: Definitely need guidance. I want to become a world famous Art Quilter. Ok maybe just learn how to put on a border...

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Blog Entries
    2
    Who is considered a "Newbie" vs a 'veteran"?

    I've been quilting only since last August (09), but sort of skipped the beginner quilt stage (from what others tell me), but feel I have so much to learn, while at the same time I've been 'teaching' others that are truly brand new to quilting and have never done it, or are stuck.

    What I have learned or been taught is via a co-worker and here on the board.

    Or am I one that is 'stuck in the middle"?

  4. #4
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,157
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Who is considered a "Newbie" vs a 'veteran"?

    I've been quilting only since last August (09), but sort of skipped the beginner quilt stage (from what others tell me), but feel I have so much to learn, while at the same time I've been 'teaching' others that are truly brand new to quilting and have never done it, or are stuck.

    What I have learned or been taught is via a co-worker and here on the board.

    Or am I one that is 'stuck in the middle"?
    I will join you is this spot, I started just 2 years ago, borders and mitering get me every time. I an afraid to FM Have no clue on paper piecing, don't wander off the beginner blocks.

  5. #5
    Senior Member quazyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Vermont
    Posts
    377
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am not sure that I am qualified to answer that one... I have been quilting since I was very young, but if it is something I don't know the answer to, I'll find someone that can answer it for me... but in the meantime, I can help with starting someone off on the right foot... :lol: :roll:

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Who is considered a "Newbie" vs a 'veteran"?

    I've been quilting only since last August (09), but sort of skipped the beginner quilt stage (from what others tell me), but feel I have so much to learn, while at the same time I've been 'teaching' others that are truly brand new to quilting and have never done it, or are stuck.

    What I have learned or been taught is via a co-worker and here on the board.

    Or am I one that is 'stuck in the middle"?
    I will join you is this spot, I started just 2 years ago, borders and mitering get me every time. I an afraid to FM Have no clue on paper piecing, don't wander off the beginner blocks.
    I also have no clue on pp, have wandered off the beginner blocks to design my own (simple blocks). Have not FM'd yet on anything more than wall hangings doing SITD and border stitches. My machine doesn't have a drop feet foot so can't FM. Borders I do fine with and the mitering I've got down, but slow, on the wall hangings. I'm only on my third regular bed quilt and the second one (Pin wheels) is only the top done so far.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Elkview, WV
    Posts
    1,193
    I was very happy that quazyquilter adopted me. I absolutely claim her as my teacher. I have so much to learn. As you will notice, I just finished my first 9 patch. Today she showed me online and by phone how to make a "weaved" pattern. That was so cool!

  8. #8
    Senior Member mosquitosewgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Posts
    776
    I'm up for adoption!

  9. #9
    Super Member tkhooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gladys, VA
    Posts
    1,627
    Blog Entries
    3
    Me first lol.

    Where's my mommy?

  10. #10
    Dora Taggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Belton, TX
    Posts
    200
    What a great ideal....

  11. #11
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would love to help someone, however mitre's and FMQ are my two weaker links :wink: and I do not handquilt...
    I do love to paper piece, as well as piece and applique :D:D:D

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Elkview, WV
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I would love to help someone, however mitre's and FMQ are my two weaker links :wink: and I do not handquilt...
    I do love to paper piece, as well as piece and applique :D:D:D
    You know more that I do. You can teach someone what you do know. I am sure there are some newbies that would like to learn anything.

  13. #13
    Super Member tkhooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gladys, VA
    Posts
    1,627
    Blog Entries
    3
    Hi Amma, Do you want to be my mommy?

    I did one quilt when I was in high school. One more when I was pregnant with my daughter and how have joined a quilting group.

    I have a Sample Quilt 38x58 at the point where I am adding sashing and I'll be doing quilted solid blocks on the corners.

    And I've bought the material for one and pattern for 3 Geisha panels that I want to make into Window Quilts.

    Are you interested?

  14. #14
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,723
    What a great idea and thread!!

    I am willing to adopt someone. I do FMQ (meandering only), not to good with SID and have EQ5 software. I do not have a longarm, but know how to use one.

    If I can help someone, I am willing to do all I can. Just PM me.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    I love this idea! I'm a newbie and would love to be adopted :) I'm still struggling with working out the kinks in my new machine (Janome 6600P) to be able to quilt well on it!

  16. #16
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tkhooper
    Hi Amma, Do you want to be my mommy?

    I did one quilt when I was in high school. One more when I was pregnant with my daughter and how have joined a quilting group.

    I have a Sample Quilt 38x58 at the point where I am adding sashing and I'll be doing quilted solid blocks on the corners.

    And I've bought the material for one and pattern for 3 Geisha panels that I want to make into Window Quilts.

    Are you interested?
    Daughter!!! (((HUGS))) :D:D:D:D
    PM me and we can exchange info :D:D:D:D

  17. #17
    Super Member tkhooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gladys, VA
    Posts
    1,627
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Quote Originally Posted by tkhooper
    Hi Amma, Do you want to be my mommy?

    I did one quilt when I was in high school. One more when I was pregnant with my daughter and how have joined a quilting group.

    I have a Sample Quilt 38x58 at the point where I am adding sashing and I'll be doing quilted solid blocks on the corners.

    And I've bought the material for one and pattern for 3 Geisha panels that I want to make into Window Quilts.

    Are you interested?
    Daughter!!! (((HUGS))) :D:D:D:D
    PM me and we can exchange info :D:D:D:D
    Momma!!! (((HUGS, right back at u)))
    I sent you a PM. or two...

  18. #18
    Senior Member quazyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Vermont
    Posts
    377
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tkhooper
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Quote Originally Posted by tkhooper
    Hi Amma, Do you want to be my mommy?

    I did one quilt when I was in high school. One more when I was pregnant with my daughter and how have joined a quilting group.

    I have a Sample Quilt 38x58 at the point where I am adding sashing and I'll be doing quilted solid blocks on the corners.

    And I've bought the material for one and pattern for 3 Geisha panels that I want to make into Window Quilts.

    Are you interested?
    Daughter!!! (((HUGS))) :D:D:D:D
    PM me and we can exchange info :D:D:D:D
    Momma!!! (((HUGS, right back at u)))
    I sent you a PM. or two...
    stop, you're making me PIMP (Pee In My Pants, for you newbies)

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    I will be someone's quilt mommy..been at it for about 5 years. my FMQ is the pits..but i keep trying. so if it is just piecing,or helping with a pattern,i can do that!

    What a great idea!

    SO who was the next in line to be adopted?!

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,301
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    ok I am reading and want to be adopted, :oops:

    I have been quilting, or trying, for the last 5 yrs or so. I have yet to finish a large quilt. and have been in such a hurry I feel that my lap quilts are lacking :-( . I am new to the sewing machine as of September of '09. I have tons of stash but not as much time as I would like. So I guess the biggest help I need is on encouragement, finishing a quilt, and using my machine. I have a babylock quilters choice. I still need to learn SO many things. So if you think you can help me I would be grateful! :mrgreen:

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    I need to add..I do not do Paper Piecing or Applique either..leaving that to the big girls..lol

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,301
    oh yeah I have the FMQ option with my machine

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,301
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    I need to add..I do not do Paper Piecing or Applique either..leaving that to the big girls..lol
    LOL, I am still a little girl, can't do either

  24. #24
    Countrygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    103
    I love this idea.... I would love to have an adopted mommy. I started quilting in Sept. 08 and there is so much to learn. I wish I had someone to help. I lost my mother to breast cancer when she was 53. I do FMQ cannot do Stitch in the ditch, when I made my first quilt I did the binding from a you tube video. Prior to learning about this board.
    I am a eager to learn quilter that is in need of a quilting mommy...

  25. #25
    Super Member Deb watkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Horseheads, NY 14845
    Posts
    4,038
    Okay, okay, new mommy here.....If you like my blocks, or pics that I have posted, I will be patient with you....help with what I can.....

Page 1 of 75 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.