Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 51 of 75 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1874

Thread: Newbies challenge

Oh boy is there a "momma" out there in quilt land that would like to adopt me. I want to learn to machine quilt. No Long arm but on my home sewing machine. I have a Bernina 830.

Pat (homecaregiver)

community benefactor stevendebbie25's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by homecaregiver
    Oh boy is there a "momma" out there in quilt land that would like to adopt me. I want to learn to machine quilt. No Long arm but on my home sewing machine. I have a Bernina 830.

Pat (homecaregiver)
    If you have the same machine, this would be a nice fit...if you also machine quilt to answer her questions. Or if you feel your experienced enough on machine quilting to help her.
    Here is a link, I loved these items as I was learning, even took a class where they used these panels and book to teach us.
    http://www.ericas.com/quilting/tools/skillbuilder.htm
    I bought the DVD and there are additional patterns you can print off and stitch on the paper to learn, or trace onto fabric (layer so you get used to the batting & how it will move, just a sample size to work / learn from). Then practice first. Then I made a really simple plain blocks in a design quilt, and I'll probably give this to the dog, as I used it to 'learn' on, to practice all types of designs before I attemped a nicer quilt. Then I made a couple baby doll blankets for my GD, and practiced how I'd like to make a full quilt look with this simple dresdon plate design, and I also tested quilt marking systems to see what I liked best.
    I hope this helps.
    I'm not going to "adopt" as I feel I'm a beginner myself to machine quilting. Just sharing how I'm learning too.

Blog Entries
    Hi - I am about to complete a beginning quilting class and could REALLY use a mentor! I am interested in hand piecing, but not certain about hand quilting, since my one effort at hand quilting (as per teacher's instructions) was a disaster. Would love to have an on line teacher.
    regards, Snipper 74

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I would love to help someone, however mitre's and FMQ are my two weaker links :wink: and I do not handquilt...
    I do love to paper piece, as well as piece and applique :D:D:D
    You know more that I do. You can teach someone what you do know. I am sure there are some newbies that would like to learn anything.
    I am one of those newbies that want to learn anything. :D I thought I was just interested in the old traditional patterns, but I have looked around and really love some of the new designs. Is there enough time to do all that sewing? ;D I look at all the fabulous quilts and wonder, where do I start?

Adopt Me!!! Adopt me!!!!!

Up for adoption. I am a newbee and love to sew but haven't quilted yet. My son passed away 4 years ago and I would like to make a memory quilt from his clothing but have no idea where to begin. I would be grateful for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by nonnageri
    Up for adoption. I am a newbee and love to sew but haven't quilted yet. My son passed away 4 years ago and I would like to make a memory quilt from his clothing but have no idea where to begin. I would be grateful for any help.
    I have something in common with you, I lost our son 3 yrs ago March 6, 2007, age 23. I've sent you a private message (you'll see it highlighted in red at top of your page above these newbie messages.) Please respond with private message. Hope I can help.

Hey, how do I obtain a copy of your quilt pox sign??---Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
    There are different quilting stitching... and we think "stiple" means the
    squiggly small lines that won't touch each other.
    Micro Stipple is no open space more than 1/4"
    Stipple is no more than 1/2" space
    Background is 1" space between stitching
    Allover is 2" space
    Edge to Edge (pantos) is 3-4" space
    Meander is 6-8" space (should be used for Charity quilts)
    Crap is loose stitching like a store bought bed comforter.
    If your a long arm quilter, and someone asks you to practice on their quilt...
    you don't practice, it's all work the same.
    Explain these stitches, and have mini samples of these on actual variety of
    blocks and plain fabric, so they can see the difference and how the stitching
    would flow in a block (make a sample of asst. most common blocks, log cabin,
    flying geese, 9 patch, etc).
    Have a contract signed with your quilt owner, so she has picked the type of
    quilting she wants, and charge accordingly...make sure she knows the charges you
    placed to each type of stitch work (size).
    Some charge by square inch, most common is 1-1/2 cents/sqin, and some charge by
    the hour, and literally will keep track of each 15 minutes or hour they have
    worked. If your hiring, ask if they keep track on a tablet the time they work
    on the quilt. You do not pay/get paid, for "thinking" time of what to do, but
    actual working/stitching time.

Make sure YOUR quilt when taking to a long arm quilter, is "fixed".
    Clip all loose threads front AND back. Square up each block before you sew them
    together, and in stages of your quilt, and sashing & borders kept even/squared
    up. Pin borders on from middle to ends (NEVER end to end). And press your
    seams so they do not bunch up. If you are finished, and you find the backside
    has bunched seams, repress WITH STARCH to change the direction of seams. Set
    seams before pressing to one direction or another, run the iron down the stitch
    line, then fold the seam over and press again. STARCH IS GOOD.

Quilters will charge to pre-press, loading time avg. 1 hr putting your quilt on
    the machine, the more problems it has, the longer.
    Custom work (fancy stippling, feathers, details) COSTS! Either hire for edge to
    edge or pantos work, or be prepared to pay dearly for detailed work. Long arm
    quilters, your time is money, if you are uncomfortable, just say NO.

Ladies, a 60"x60" quilt, when you add a 10" border, you've doubled the square
    inches of your quilt, expect to double the price also.
    Quilters, you can do 3x(60"x60") quilts in the same time as 1(100"x100"king)
    quilt.

When your quilting, your own or professionally, divide your quilt into those
    folded quilt zones, and set goal/accomplish/repeat, and you'll finish in a
    timely manner. Why practice on a quilt you've spend precious time and money on
    quality fabric, to piece this lovely top.... practice on plain fabric folded
    into quiltable zones, or on a crap basic quilt you'll donate for charity.
    Debbie you seem to be so smart or shall I say knowledgable. How long have you been quilting and did you teach yourself?
    All the info I've seen that you've submitted has helped me in one way or another. Thank you so much for all you add. K. :lol: :thumbup: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K
    Quote Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
    There are different quilting stitching... and we think "stiple" means the
    squiggly small lines that won't touch each other.
    Micro Stipple is no open space more than 1/4"
    Stipple is no more than 1/2" space
    Background is 1" space between stitching
    Allover is 2" space
    Edge to Edge (pantos) is 3-4" space
    Meander is 6-8" space (should be used for Charity quilts)
    Crap is loose stitching like a store bought bed comforter.
    If your a long arm quilter, and someone asks you to practice on their quilt...
    you don't practice, it's all work the same.
    Explain these stitches, and have mini samples of these on actual variety of
    blocks and plain fabric, so they can see the difference and how the stitching
    would flow in a block (make a sample of asst. most common blocks, log cabin,
    flying geese, 9 patch, etc).
    Have a contract signed with your quilt owner, so she has picked the type of
    quilting she wants, and charge accordingly...make sure she knows the charges you
    placed to each type of stitch work (size).
    Some charge by square inch, most common is 1-1/2 cents/sqin, and some charge by
    the hour, and literally will keep track of each 15 minutes or hour they have
    worked. If your hiring, ask if they keep track on a tablet the time they work
    on the quilt. You do not pay/get paid, for "thinking" time of what to do, but
    actual working/stitching time.

Make sure YOUR quilt when taking to a long arm quilter, is "fixed".
    Clip all loose threads front AND back. Square up each block before you sew them
    together, and in stages of your quilt, and sashing & borders kept even/squared
    up. Pin borders on from middle to ends (NEVER end to end). And press your
    seams so they do not bunch up. If you are finished, and you find the backside
    has bunched seams, repress WITH STARCH to change the direction of seams. Set
    seams before pressing to one direction or another, run the iron down the stitch
    line, then fold the seam over and press again. STARCH IS GOOD.

Quilters will charge to pre-press, loading time avg. 1 hr putting your quilt on
    the machine, the more problems it has, the longer.
    Custom work (fancy stippling, feathers, details) COSTS! Either hire for edge to
    edge or pantos work, or be prepared to pay dearly for detailed work. Long arm
    quilters, your time is money, if you are uncomfortable, just say NO.

Ladies, a 60"x60" quilt, when you add a 10" border, you've doubled the square
    inches of your quilt, expect to double the price also.
    Quilters, you can do 3x(60"x60") quilts in the same time as 1(100"x100"king)
    quilt.

When your quilting, your own or professionally, divide your quilt into those
    folded quilt zones, and set goal/accomplish/repeat, and you'll finish in a
    timely manner. Why practice on a quilt you've spend precious time and money on
    quality fabric, to piece this lovely top.... practice on plain fabric folded
    into quiltable zones, or on a crap basic quilt you'll donate for charity.
    Debbie you seem to be so smart or shall I say knowledgable. How long have you been quilting and did you teach yourself?
    All the info I've seen that you've submitted has helped me in one way or another. Thank you so much for all you add. K. :lol: :thumbup: :lol:
    Glad I can help, and it's from notes from Quilt Classes I've taken at retreats. Actually, these have been from a class with Sharon Shamber, she's won many awards, google her site, beautiful work. I took my first class 5 yrs ago, then I took a break for 2 yrs, and then started quilting again 2 yrs ago. I've taken a couple dozen classes and from 4 Natl. Teachers as well as local and state level teachers.
    I invest in good books that teach tips to simplify a particular technique, to teach tricks of trade in quilting. I've also invested in about 3 doz DVDs on all types of quilting. And our local library had 2 sets about doz each of quilting lessons I've gone through. I'm always trying to learn. There are many techniques I've self taught from a book also. Once you learn basics, you can usually work out any pattern/technique from a book or DVD. And there are always friends and groups like here you can ask advice.

:shock: WOW!! You're a very busy lady! And I thought I had an extensive library! But mine are just book, magazines and a few DVDs. I wish I had the time to take classes. Right now I'm helping my daughter get ready for a new great grand daughter. Her first grandchild. Well, thank you for the insight. You're a real inspiration. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K
    :shock: WOW!! You're a very busy lady! And I thought I had an extensive library! But mine are just book, magazines and a few DVDs. I wish I had the time to take classes. Right now I'm helping my daughter get ready for a new great grand daughter. Her first grandchild. Well, thank you for the insight. You're a real inspiration. :lol:
    Sorry to hear of her granchild, we lost our son, I know what it's like, he was 23. We lost 5 babies, and 4 where c-section emergency deliveries to save them. Then I had cervical cancer also, and they said enough if I want to raise my children, hysterectomy time. We have 5 beautiful wonderful children. One born 2 wks late @ 9 lbs is now just a little 5' mom of 4 herself. One born 7 wks early I hemorraged, but he was saved, we had him 23 yrs and I was with him 9 mo in hospital before he left us.
    Next was born 6 wks early, has a bad heart valve, but she's Barbie doll beautiful, smart as a whip, married and hoping for her first child. Then I had cervical cancer, they said I couldn't have more children, and where shocked when the 4th came at full term but 5 lbs, she's still only 4'11" and under 100 lbs still, has severe asthma (nearly lost her giving birth to her son), has "I'm older than I look" on her business card, sells real estate, married with a son 2 yrs. Then our baby really shocked docs, said I'd never see this happen again, that time was a miracle. My cervix was removed and scared shut, they thought, and then I had another and went full term. She'll be 22 next wk, has a 3 yr daughter & melanoma cancer. We had lost a baby before our first, and 4 after her before the son was born.
    I believe each child, trials and all, are a great blessing. I believe each trial only makes us stronger. I pray the best for your granddaughter and her baby. I've had 41 surgeries, and hope to see my grandchildren have children like my mom has...that would be my greatest desire, growing old beside my husband. At least I have a very wonderful man by my side through all the grief I've put us through (unintentionally, still). He's protective, supportive, encouraging, loving, works too hard, and gives generously. Now, if we could just get our youngest two daughters to straighten out their lives and lesson a burdon on their dad. He's been working 150 hrs/wk, and 24hr robs you don't come home between, continuous until it's finished, sleep in a pick up or shack. Only 2 days a month off. And they seem to make the worst choices, and if not for those precious granchildren..well, he feels he has to help. One is moving back home again now, which is easier for us to help her than paying her bills ontop of ours. Another is getting divorced and moving home this spring for a few months too. I look forward to moving ahead in our lives, and hope we can see them move forward and successful finally in theirs. We're paying for a house in one town, DH works 4 hrs away so we have an apt. in that town, and would love to build our future after raising our children...guess parenting doesn't end.
    One piece of wisdom...take care of yourself to be there for others. You need your own sanity if quilting relaxes, make time. You need to keep your mind sharp, quilting works that, make time. Your gifts made keep your emotional 'heart' strong, make time. Even with social work or family, it's uplifting to learn & make new friends, take classes or active in a quilt guild, make time.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I have not been quilting too long and the dresden plate is my newest "thing". I am having problems tho when I sew the blades/petals the center part is always bunchy and doesn't lay flat. What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by cherrio
    I have not been quilting too long and the dresden plate is my newest "thing". I am having problems tho when I sew the blades/petals the center part is always bunchy and doesn't lay flat. What am I doing wrong?
    Take in a little more on the seam that is towards the center; like an 1/8 " or less. On the ones you have already sewn , do it in 4 or 5 places.

Blog Entries
    Great idea! I'm open for adoption! I just joined last week and I'm a beginning beginner. Would love someone to be there when I need help!

Blog Entries
    Great idea! I'm open for adoption! I just joined last week and I'm a beginning beginner. Would love someone to be there when I need help!

I would like a mentor, +/or quilting big sister. I took a beginner quilting class and sampler class 25 years ago and made a couple of wall hanging in the interim. Getting back into it to finish the quilt I promised my older daughter in about '95. I've done nothing quilting for about 10 years or so until this fall. In the 90's I completed 9 or the approx. 108 flying geese I'll need for DD1's quilt. I have continued to collected fabric over the years as I intend to make each one different. Remnants have been a good options.

So I am looking to be adopted as kind of an Older kid I'd guess.

I would love to be adopted. I am 55 years old. I am a mother of three and have three beautiful granddaughters. My mother was going to teach me to quilt but passed away of a massive stroke before she could. The only thing I have done is the quilt posted using a panel for my sister with breast cancer. So I am really a newbie!!! Can anyone help me I would so love to keep the craft my mother loved alive. DeborahA

Thank you for listing the acronyms. I am a newbie and reading/learning alot here..but would get lost on the acronyms.

Quote Originally Posted by quazyquilter
    I would like to challenge all the "veteran" quilters on this board to find a "newbie" and adopt one. I have taken one under my wing, so to speak and I am teaching her to quilt via this board, e-mail and the phone.
    There are some "newbies" out there that would probably welcome our help and guidance and have lots of questions that maybe they are too shy to ask, or they may not know how to ask about certain things, for fear that they will be considered "dumb questions".
    So, QUILTERS,UNITE!!!

p.s. don't take butterjoy, she's mine! :lol: :D :roll:
    this is a great idea.... plzzzzzzzz someone adopt ME!!! lol...

Hugsssss ladies

I signed up to help, but two newbies never responded. So I give up.

To help Newbies and everyone...here is a GREAT link.
    http://www.ideas-for-quilting.com/
    Good step by step instructions

Here is a link to a you-tube video, it's a fun song "You can Quilt that out"...enjoy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoL7ddTEnA

Quote Originally Posted by sjhughson
    I signed up to help, but two newbies never responded. So I give up.
    I also responded to a couple newbies, and heard nothing back.
    "newbies" to this group, usually a response is by PM (Personal Message) these can be found at the top of this page and when you have one to you, it usually highlights in red. Click this, read & respond through this. We've tried to connect to ladies based upon what you ask to learn, what we know to teach/share, and maybe something we have in common from things you've stated.
    If you seriously want help...PLEASE, you can click ON the name of the person you wish to connect to, this opens a profile, and you'll see PM to send to her...open that, send your message... PLEASE put in detail what you want to learn, what you have learned, maybe what you have for a machine, quilt technique or pattern you wish to start with, maybe a little about yourself. That person should respond back to you, and either connect or let you know that they don't feel they can help...perhaps because you want to learn what they are not 'experienced' enough to teach/help with yet. Do not take it personally, we don't "know" you, and if we don't connect, it's a quilting decision, not personal.
    I have made 15 (totally quilted complete) quilts, only been quilting 3 yrs, have taken 20 classes from local quilters, 4 from Natl. Teachers, I attend quilt shows & retreats. I also have a couple dozen DVDs, plenty of books, tons of patterns from dozens of magazines and online. I have a Baby Lock Ellegante II which I embroidery and quilt on. I have a couple simple machines I also piece quilt on.
    I would not consider myself experienced yet, but not a beginner, and I'm a sponge, I want to learn every technique out there, try every ruler, and make at least one quilt of every technique. I too, am still learning. But I do post here tips and I feel I could probably help a Newbie with most questions... getting into the advanced stuff? your not a newbie then, and you can teach me :D
    I've done: Trip Around the World, Split Rail Fence, Log Cabins, Celebrate, dozens of blocks into Samplers, Stack N Whack, Love Knots, and a few BOM (Block of the month) kits. Paper Piecing. Rag Quilts. Fractured Q., Fusibles. Probably forgetting something here. Oh, that not all the quilts I've made are 'finished' many are just tops still, UFOs.
    I'm working on Garden Twist/Lattice, Bargello, and I want to learn the angle ruler (quilt without edges) and diamond ruler and English PP (Paper Piecing). So, I'll be posting questions later also.
    Please respond, check your PM, and connect to a 'teacher' to mentor with of your choice and see if it connects.

Newbie up for adoption!

Would love to get adopted! I am a 32 year old mother of two kittens. ;) I decided to try quilting a few weeks ago and am stuck on my binding, and petrified of quilting the center of my quilt!

Send me an email...Lynn_m_ [email protected]

Page 51 of 75 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast