Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Book versus Class? >

Book versus Class?

Book versus Class?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM

Default Book versus Class?

My guild is having a workshop by Sue Pelland (LeavesGalore). Does anyone have her book "Rotary cutting Appliqué"? Can you share some thoughts on the book?
I can't afford the workshop and the book. What do think will be the best investment book versus class?
Appreciate your opinions!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

it is often nice to own a book to have for future reference, be able to work with on your own time, i've learned alot from my books---but really nothing really beats the opportunity to actually experience it all first hand! maybe take the workshop- then if you are really (taken) with the whole thing and want to purchase the book you can at a later date- (possibly finding it on amazon or somewhere for less) you will have a personal 'foundation' and when you do get the book you will understand, know what it is 'talking about' because you witnessed it.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Here's a link to a couple of youtube videos that she has. I guess after looking at the videos, the investment question should be about the rulers...

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuePellandDesigns/videos
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I am not familiar with the instructor, the book nor the technique so not sure how much my input will help. IMHO It totally depends on what is involved with the technique. For example with paper piecing I had looked at written instructions on how to do it and couldn't grasp it but I took a class and totally understood. The class included handouts but it was the hands on that gave me my "aha" moment.

On the flip side of that coin, I have self taught myself using books countless other quilting techinques such as freezer paper piecing, needle turn applique, set in seams, strip piecing. I tend to like to have a book to refer back to. I may not remember what I learned in a class if I don't reuse the technique for several years. I think only you can answer this question because you are the one who knows how you learn best.

If you take the class and practice the technique enough afterwards that it is committed to memory then take the class. But if you don't think you will use it again soon then you will need something to help refresh your memory. Have you thumbed through the book? Is this something that will interest you for many quilts to come? If not I wouldn't take the class nor buy the book but use the limited funds on something that you will use a lot or fabric
Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM

It all depends on the quality of the class instructions or the how clear the book patterns/instructions are.

I have bought books that are confusing and some that give very good step by step instructions.

If the instructor is good, the class is better plus they usually have handouts and you can take notes. And if you do something wrong, they are there to show you the correct way.

And, sometimes they offer a store discount if it's taught at a store or they might have a stack of their books for a discount.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Don't know anything about this instructor or the book. I've learned many things by reading about them either on this board or elsewhere, but there are certain things that hands on, personal instruction is far superior. Then you can find out what you are doing incorrectly and what you need to change in order to do it right. Now if I could just find a tatting class!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 AM

I have learned to take the book over a. class.

There is always someone in a class that just holds up the instruction - either taking the class is above their skill level or they have no clue on how to use the features of ther machine. So we wait while this person has to have individual instruction. I have then paid good money to advance the knowledge of someone else.

The last class was a FMQ class. There were two dear older ladies there. The first instruction was to set the tension on the machine. Tension? What's that? I never touch any buttons on my machine. ( Of course they were oversold high end computer machines.

Ok 30 minutes later - drop your feed dogs. Sigh.

I did stay for a little bit longer then quietly gathered my stuff and the book and went home.

I now use all the available videos out there and buy a book if I think it will help. A book is forever.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I would choose the class. There is always a way to get the book later. You could borrow it or buy it used online. My guild buys a copy of the workshop instructor's book, if any, for the guild library.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Default Book versus class

I agree and have this issue to add, one gal had not yet purchased the pattern or fabric...instructor took her into the shop to select what was needed. I had paid for a 4 week course, but never returned and did not want a refund....just told myself never again. I have not taken another class, but still support the shop.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
I have learned to take the book over a. class.

There is always someone in a class that just holds up the instruction - either taking the class is above their skill level or they have no clue on how to use the features of ther machine. So we wait while this person has to have individual instruction. I have then paid good money to advance the knowledge of someone else.

The last class was a FMQ class. There were two dear older ladies there. The first instruction was to set the tension on the machine. Tension? What's that? I never touch any buttons on my machine. ( Of course they were oversold high end computer machines.

Ok 30 minutes later - drop your feed dogs. Sigh.

I did stay for a little bit longer then quietly gathered my stuff and the book and went home.

I now use all the available videos out there and buy a book if I think it will help. A book is forever.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 AM

Personally I'd take the class and get the book later if the technique interests me. You'll always pick up a tidbit or two from an instructor that is never in any book.