Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Books >

Books

Books

Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Highly recommend "Mastering Precision Piecing" by Sally Collins. I call it the "piecing primer". After reading the book, and viewing the DVD (recommend that as well!) my piecing improved by leaps and bounds. I wish I had it from the beginning ... I too was self taught.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM

I know of several quilters who only do paper piecing [PP] because it works for them. No need to match seams, just plain 'ol sewing. So, if that is the way you want to go ... do it.

I personally prefer regular piecing and matching seams and such. I don't see why anyone would want to PP a log cabin block. But, that is just me being me.

If there is a LQS with a beginning class or a teaching guild near you, try it. Though be aware that not all quilting teachers are really good and you can get some misinformation.

ali

Make it fun for you.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 AM

Hi again sorry I want to machine quilt although I can machine I have not done so for about 25 years and have just treated my self to a new machine such I'm over the moon with I've always wanted to quilt but with 3 kids and 3 jobs there weren't enough time in the day then I had my fourth child who's stops me in my tracks I'm now a stay at home mum my eldest is 21 and my youngest is 2 so I think noes the time to start I need all the advice I can get as I've never don any quilting before but always had great admiration for those who do all advise is soooo welcom
Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 AM

By the way I ment to thank u all for ur responses didn't expect so many new to all this forum stuff just made my first blogg too so really pushing the boat out now hehehe x
Old 03-06-2012, 02:37 AM

The most useful book I own was put out by Joanns it's Joanns complete guide for quilting. It covers everything plus different techniques. Measurements and tells you the difference between all the supplies. With a coupon it's under 15.00! I still use it.
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Guide-Qui...9&sr=8-1-fkmr2

Heres a link to see what it looks like. Good luck and I hope you find one that suits you!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 AM

Welcome! You have some great starting points! Keep is informed of ur progress!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 AM

Welcome to the board and welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!
As you can see you will get many answers and many ways to start quilting my recommendations would be for you to learn the basics then find your way to what you enjoy doing. Find a group (a quilting guild or small home group that might be able to help you) Enjoy your time and happy quilting!
Quiltinmama
Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 AM

This is my favorite, has everything in it.
Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Better homes and gardens guide to quilting, my fave, not a pattern book, but great reference for math, or when you have questions on techniques
Old 03-06-2012, 04:31 AM

I am with Dolphyngryl...BH&G's Complete Guide to Quilting is the easiest to follow, basic to advanced including South Paw directions and my go-to book whenever I have a technical question.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 AM

I was lucky enough to get the Better Homes and Gardens complete Guide for $5 on clearance at Borders. Its good for reference but for making quilts Eleanor Burns is the easiest to follow. Watch her videos on her website quilt in a day and click on television video, lots of videos to watch.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 03-06-2012 at 06:20 AM.