Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border help >

Border help

Border help

Old 11-08-2014, 07:37 AM

I agree with maniacquilter. The sawtooth distracts from your beautiful center.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:56 AM

Forgive me for saying I don't think the sawtooth or pieced border does your beautiful quilt justice. Personally, I would remove it, keep the black print border and the narrow burgundy one, and replace the narrow green border with a wider green one, say 4 or 5 inches. And then bind, perhaps, with the black rose print. The center of your quilt is so striking, that the borders should complete and complement it, not distract from it. Just my opinion, of course.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Your quilt is wonderful, what a great job you did on the star!! I am afraid I have to agree with some of the others in saying I do not care for the first pieced border as I think it detracts from the quilt. If you really want to use the pieced border, I, too, would go with the sawtooth type that matches your star.
If you are adding the borders to add length, only to the top and bottom, then I would use the ones you have, just changing out the pieced sections to the sawtooth HSTs.
If you are only adding borders because you want the finished look, I think I might prefer to have the green, then the burgandy and finish with the wider black print.
No matter what you do, it's going to be a wonderful quilt!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Suz

I agree, the pieced border must go. Too distracting from the beautiful center. I would take off all borders, reduce the width of the green (as the green and rose are the same) and have the beautiful black fabric as the o/s border. Binding could then be green, rose or black. The center star is wonderfully executed.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:41 AM

First of all, the quilt top is beautiful. I like all the borders, except, the saw tooth. I think it is distracting while the other borders compliment the rest of the quilt. I would just remove the saw tooth and leave the rest as is. It really is pretty.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

Since you asked for opinions, I might remove the pieced border, as it is almost too light, I would just add the black print border after the green and red borders. Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous. This is on my Roundtoit List, just not sure when I'm going to get around to it.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:42 PM

I like the pieced border, it makes it original, if you like it keep it.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:29 PM

I, too, don't care for the pieced border competing for attention with the lovely star, but if this will be on a bed, the portion that hangs over the edge of the mattress will look entirely different than when laid out flat with the top portion. On a bed the pieced border running along the lower section will be a design on its own. I do like the floral, red and green borders as shown for the top portion.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by mmac71 View Post
I agree...The sawtooth border is what caught my eye...It takes away from the main star. Beautiful quilt...
Several have mentioned this and i agree. the saw tooth border is distracting and your quilt is simply beautiful. I think you'll be happier to have the print and the two solids and let the saw tooth go.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 PM

I like the black flower border, it really frames the quilt. Is it the same flowers in the star or is the fabric in the last pic the black star fabric? Either way it looks good. The sawtooth border goes better with the quilt style. It does not matter the color for the binding as long as it is darker than the pink in the sawtooth. Really adding all the borders would look great. You did put a lot of work in the star.