Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border or not? Cat scrap fever quilt is done and need advise. >

Border or not? Cat scrap fever quilt is done and need advise.

Border or not? Cat scrap fever quilt is done and need advise.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:49 AM

Default Border or not? Cat scrap fever quilt is done and need advise.

I am attaching a couple of pics of my cat scrap fever quilt. It is done with leftovers from another quilt that was just 6" blocks with the center panel. I was going to put a double border using the blue and orange fabric that frames the panel in the middle to finish this quilt, but recently I have noticed that scrappy quilts are being just bound with no borders, and I kinda like that effect. Please help me decide if not having borders on this quilt would make it look unfinished, or would having borders take away from the quilt's scrappiness. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   004.jpg  

Last edited by nhweaver; 09-26-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 AM

I like it as is but I also instantly thouht an orange border would really show it off!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 AM

I almost always add a border --mainly to get the top all squared up. This makes it easier to quilt. LOVE the scrappiness of it.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 AM

I vote for borders because of the borders on the center panel. I think it would give the quilt balance.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:13 AM

I suggest pinning your border fabric to one side and seeing which you like better. It's a great quilt either way. Also, what size do you want it to be?
Old 09-26-2013, 05:19 AM

yes I think it needs a border. Maybe a narrow /flange orange inner border and then a wider blue outer border. How big do you want the quilt to be and is there a certain color sceme that you want? or if you do not want it any bigger then bind in blue and that will frame the quilt and give it a finished look. Audition fabrics and see what you like
Old 09-26-2013, 05:21 AM

Right now it is about 50" x 69", it is a couch throw for my DD, who has ended up with 5 cats. I didn't like a slim orange border, and didn't like a 4" border either, I pinned up the dark blue binding over the ends and like it the best. But, this would be my first time not bordering.

Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
I suggest pinning your border fabric to one side and seeing which you like better. It's a great quilt either way. Also, what size do you want it to be?
Old 09-26-2013, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Great top and I think an orange border would be nice. Take a look at Bonnie Hunter's quilts from www.quiltville.blospot.com and see what some of her scrap quilts look like. If it is big enough and you like it without a border than go for it. Just a nice little orange or blue binding would be pretty too.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
I like it as is but I also instantly thouht an orange border would really show it off!
A simple orange border immediately sprang to my mind too -- but I also like it as it is. Not much help, am I? Love this quilt!! You did a beautiful job.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Great top and I think an orange border would be nice. Take a look at Bonnie Hunter's quilts from www.quiltville.blospot.com and see what some of her scrap quilts look like. If it is big enough and you like it without a border than go for it. Just a nice little orange or blue binding would be pretty too.
Your link is incorrect. Here's the right one: http://www.quiltville.blogspot.com/