Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this border too heavy?

Is this border too heavy?

This is a piece resulting from a mystery quilt thingy from my guild. The fabric selection instructions were so vague I ended up with this very blue piece. Don't get me wrong; I love blue. I already pulled out some mismatched (pinky) blocks and I'm left with this. I'm trying to take it up to a usable size (Bed) It's at roughly at 56x 70 and I'd like to get it up close to 65x80. Of the original materials I either couldn't see them as a large border or there wasn't enough.
    Should I go to the store??? I only need about 3 yds.
    Thanks ladies
    MaryKatherine
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.ca

I like that border -- it makes the other colors glow.

Blog Entries
    Oh no, I like it. looks good!!

I also like it. Your center blocks have "mass" and so it doesn't seem like an overpowering border. it's beautiful!

Honestly, I'd go to the store. I don't think the border really matches the rest of the quilt. I think I would stick with the medium to the medium dark border..... either one of the first two colors in the second to the last row. Just my opinion.

Blog Entries
    I think you found a nice balance. The quilt and boarder look good together. IMHO I would do the binding in the gold.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    I really like it. I like blue/brown and the gold works to make the colors merge!
    Cherylsea

I think it depends on the effect you want. The center blocks seem to look deeper and richer with that border. If you want to lighten up the quilt I would get a different fabric. Personally I think it will be beautiful with the dark border. It gives the whole quilt a feeling of elegance.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

I think it's fine. Save your money for another project. Your proposed wide boarder keeps with the modern feel.

Power Poster
    I love it! If you hadn't included the border fabric in the main body I would have used one of the blues but it looks awesome to me.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast