Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Border width

But, would they approve of the border size? :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mary705
    But, would they approve of the border size? :lol:
    the QP don't approve of anything. they are a drag, man.
    like, totally, y'know?

Boo
    As many of you know, I spend a great deal of time in a Quilt Shop, sewing and chatting, fondling fabric, helping folks find what they looking for, and in general, just having a great time. We warmly welcome anyone who walks in the door and offer chocolate. In my almost 5 years at this shop, I have only met one of the dreaded Quilt Police. Let me tell you a secret about this person. She never smiles! Coincidence? I think not!
    Creative people laugh at rules with wild abandonment. They enjoy the process. Audition your fabric, using the amount that will be seen. In the case of a border, lay your top on the bolt, showing only the width of border you are thinking of. Then step back and see what YOU think. Sometimes that means turning your back and sneaking up on it. But, bottom line, your decision is for you alone. That quilt police person will never smile, no matter what you do. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Ruthie,

Do you mind explaining what the picture in your "signature" is about? It seems to be stacks and stacks of fat quarters--all in shades of blue.

GramMER :-o :?

The QUILT POLICE are everywhere. I live in Australia and will only put my quilts into shows for display only, not for judging. They are my babies and I love ém and don't need anyone else to judge them, but if they like them, or inspire them in any way, well that's great.

Mostly design my own, but never decide borders until the main body of the quilt is together and quilted, put all pieces of border together, quilt and join on. It works great for me.

I'm with you, Bella. I don't like criticism from anyone, and I surely am not going to ask anyone to judge my work. Comment, yes, criticise, NOOOO. :evil:

Hi Norah, I belong to a great group of women who are like-minded, always helpful with their comments and we trade ideas and assistance which extends beyond quilting but the quilting is No. 1 for us. Aren't quilters gorgeous?...Bette

I just joined the local quilt guild. I hope they are like that.

Hi GramMER, nothing fancy there. It is made out of squares cuts from old jeans and various plaid fabrics on the back.... What you see is frayed seams, gets fuzzy with washing.....It's a jean rag quilt

Blog Entries
    Hi - When I make a quilt I look at it as a picture and decide how to "frame" it. I look at the borders as matting the picture so each quilt is different. Most of my quilts are crib size, I've never tackled the big one. Maybe this summer while on summer break. Good luck with yours. What are the "quilt police"? I'm new to this board so pardon my ignorance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast