Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Borders-Do you ever piece a single fabric border.

I know I am clear as mud. Some of the directions I have read, mention piecing the boarders. It seems a lot of people like it to be a single cut.

So will you only use a single cut for borders or will you piece them?

Thanks,
    G

I usually piece my borders cause sometimes the border is whatever fabric I have enough left of. There have been a couple that I think would have looked much better if I had used a single long cut on, my recent oriental quilt being one of them but......
    Maybe in the future, If I have my border planned ahead of time and have enough length and it is a larger print that really needs to not be seamed I will endeaver to make it one long piece. A lot of the time, I wait to see what my quilt says after it is together (and again, whatever fabric I have enough of)

I piece only if I have to.

I piece if necessary.

I almost always piece my borders. I tend to get "wavy" borders if I don't. I can't seem to stop it no matter what I do. It doesn't happen with a pieced border.

Lynette

I have never pieced a border, but after seeing some of the beautiful ones done here I may try it.

I used to always piece my borders, but more recently I have been purchasing enough fabric to cut my borders out of the long length of the fabric.

But---that is not to say that I will never piece a border again. In true old-fashioned quilting style, I have no problem "using what I have" and making do. If that means I piece a border, then I piece.

Sometimes I piece my border sections together...or I can cut on the lengthwise of the fabric....
    Some of the people here piece them into points, vines, 4 patch, fling geese, etc...
    I am not that creative...
    Kirsten

If I'm putting a border on, I would try to cut before finishing. On the other hand though, most of my quilts haven't had borders. I think it's mainly up to you, but I see nothing wrong with piecing the border.

Blog Entries
    When I use the single piece border I always rip, not cut them. Ripping gives me perfectly straight borders. If I have to add to the length I sew the ends together diagonally. I think pieced borders are extra nice. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast