Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Borders-Do you ever piece a single fabric border.

I know I am clear as mud. Some of the directions I have read, mention piecing the boarders. It seems a lot of people like it to be a single cut.

So will you only use a single cut for borders or will you piece them?

Thanks,
    G

I usually piece my borders cause sometimes the border is whatever fabric I have enough left of. There have been a couple that I think would have looked much better if I had used a single long cut on, my recent oriental quilt being one of them but......
    Maybe in the future, If I have my border planned ahead of time and have enough length and it is a larger print that really needs to not be seamed I will endeaver to make it one long piece. A lot of the time, I wait to see what my quilt says after it is together (and again, whatever fabric I have enough of)

I piece only if I have to.

I piece if necessary.

I almost always piece my borders. I tend to get "wavy" borders if I don't. I can't seem to stop it no matter what I do. It doesn't happen with a pieced border.

Lynette

I have never pieced a border, but after seeing some of the beautiful ones done here I may try it.

I used to always piece my borders, but more recently I have been purchasing enough fabric to cut my borders out of the long length of the fabric.

But---that is not to say that I will never piece a border again. In true old-fashioned quilting style, I have no problem "using what I have" and making do. If that means I piece a border, then I piece.

Sometimes I piece my border sections together...or I can cut on the lengthwise of the fabric....
    Some of the people here piece them into points, vines, 4 patch, fling geese, etc...
    I am not that creative...
    Kirsten

If I'm putting a border on, I would try to cut before finishing. On the other hand though, most of my quilts haven't had borders. I think it's mainly up to you, but I see nothing wrong with piecing the border.

Blog Entries
    When I use the single piece border I always rip, not cut them. Ripping gives me perfectly straight borders. If I have to add to the length I sew the ends together diagonally. I think pieced borders are extra nice. :)

I piece my borders. When I quilt mine I usually do an all over meandering so the seam from the border piecing doesn't even show. Iknow that is what alot of people think when you speak of when that is mentioned. Now if I was going to do a design on my border, then I might consider a straight piece.

Usually I make my quilts and then know what size border I am putting on it so cutting the border out first from a long strip doesn't help me because I don't know what will look nice when it is done.

Barb

Blog Entries
    When you rip, do you make a small cut the size you want (ie 4") and then rip it> Sorry for the stupid question!!

Hi,

If a fabric is a directional print or design I do not piece it, but cut it from the length of fabric. If I piece a border I piece them diagonally and you usually don't even see it, especially once it is quilted. I piece borders more than do them one piece.

I will sometimes do a scrappy border with pieces left from the blocks. I also sometimes use a scrappy binding. It can add a bit of color and zip to a quilt, depends on the pattern and fabrics in the quilt.

bev

I always end up pieceing and it dosnt show once it is quilted. Has to be a very small quilt to not piece. I have used the length of the fabric for a design that has to be matched otherwise. It is tough to match some fabric designs.
    I also like to use all the fabrics in the quilt for the binding. It makes an interesting finish

I always peice my borders. I never have enough material to do one long cut. I also like to wait and see what the top tells me after it's done in regards to a border. Sometimes it demands a border, and sometimes it doesn't. And then at that point I just use what I have, and piece it together. If it was good enough for my ancestors, it's good enough for me! LOL