Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • borders to enlarge quilt to king size >
  • borders to enlarge quilt to king size

• borders to enlarge quilt to king size

Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 AM

I have a perfectly beautiful "Autumn Leaves," quilt which I made not long after joining our Guild. A friend helped me with it, as I really didn't know what I was doing. It is one of my favorite quilts.
    Since then, I have learned to add some block borders which were fun to make. Just go to easy quilt border patterns, and there are several.
    I am one of those who get tired of the same quilt project. I finally learned to have 3-4 quilts/quilting pieces going at the same time. Not nearly as boring that way!
    If you go for the block borders, it would be about 2". Then as some of the others said, make the other borders large, and it will be beautiful.
    Would love to see a picture.
    marta
    [email protected]
    Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 AM

Marta, i sent you a PM ..Kim
    Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM

I would add a different block going around - maybe flying geese or sawtooth - something to give some interest. I've done borders like the one suggestion, but the sizes where very different. I used 4" the same fabric with a 2" center - turned out lovely.
    Judi
    Old 02-03-2010, 02:33 PM

If you really don't want to make more blocks, I personally would only add 2 borders max even if one is 4" and the other 8". The border is what will probably drape over the sides of the bed. If you go to http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/PHP/Tour2007.php you will see that they often add large borders and the quilts are stunning.
    Old 02-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Have you tried laying it out with the blocks on point? That would automatically make the quilt bigger and you could just use solid tiangles to fill in the open spaces and than a very narrow border and a wider one.
    Old 12-28-2020, 07:42 AM

I always add borders to my stack in whacks so i can show the original fabric. I usually sandwich the wider original fabric border with two contrasting fabrics. I've attached 2 photos.
    Originally Posted by peterparley
    i i am making a "stack and whack in a queen but found out my daughter has a "king" so i'm thinking of adding borders. Gold 4",red 5", floral 6"(fabric used in the quilt) red 5", gold 4", this would add 24" to each side. All you experts out there what do you think? The red is the backround fabric in the quilt. Thank you, peterparley
    Attached Thumbnails didi-2-close-up.jpg   didi-2.jpg  
    Old 12-28-2020, 08:22 AM

How much do you need to add to get to the edge of the bed? If it's not too much, I would add whatever border you want, then do a larger border of a tone on tone for the drape and then add another border that matches the first border along the bottom.
    So, it would go: Top, main border fabric, drape border fabric, main border fabric.
    You just have to make sure that the drape border starts exactly where it falls over the edge of the bed.

Watson