Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric fraying at seams >

Fabric fraying at seams

Fabric fraying at seams

Old 12-26-2020, 05:06 PM

Default Fabric fraying at seams

Hi, I am a new quilter and I’m enjoying the process. However, I have had this happen on my last two projects. After completion, I wash the quilt on the gentle cycle and dry on low. I pull the quilt out of the dryer, and there are places where the fabric has pulled away from the seam. It looks like the fabric has frayed and the seam has held, but the fabric is no longer connected to the seam . So, the quilt is pretty much ruined before I even use it.

im buying my fabric from either connecting threads or the fat quarter shop, so they should be good quality.

any ideas why this is happening?
Old 12-26-2020, 05:17 PM

Hmm....what comes to mind is: Seams are too narrow...check your 1/4 inch. Also if your stitches are too long and the fabric is a frayer, as many are these days, your seam might pull out.
Hope you figure it out....it is a sad thing to have happen.
Marilyn
Old 12-26-2020, 05:20 PM

The first thing that crossed my mind is how big is your seam allowance? If it's much less than a scant 1/4", then that can happen. I've had it happen in a couple of places on a quilt that was washed for the first time and had to repair it by hand.

I also wonder how big your stitches are - if they're too big or too loose (check your tension), then that, along with a skinny seam allowance can cause the seams to fray and pull away.

Ha! Great minds think alike...we were posting at the same time!
Old 12-26-2020, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

I use a short stitch to piece just under the 2 marking on my machine. Default is 2.5 I don't do scant 1/4" either. I use the full 1/4" allowance.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

Make sure you have a consistent 11/4 inch seam allowance and reduce your stitch length. More stitches per inch are sturdier. Your quilt isn’t ruined, just appliqué a heart over the spots.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Make sure you have a consistent 11/4 inch seam allowance and reduce your stitch length. More stitches per inch are sturdier. Your quilt isn’t ruined, just appliqué a heart over the spots.

thank you all for responding! I will watch my seam allowances more carefully.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

😂😂😂That should read 1/4 inch seam allowances not 11/4 !
Old 12-27-2020, 03:27 AM

I'm also not a very experienced quilter so I'm not sure but would denser quilting also help? Also, pressing to the side rather than pressing seams open? I would be heartbroken to make a quilt and it ravel apart.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:24 AM

A couple of thoughts for you.

Did you pre-wash the fabrics before making the quilt? This may be a case of shrinkage causing the fabric to pull away from the seams.I have started pre-washing quilt fabrics just to get shrinkage out of the way.

What size and type needle did you use for piecing? It does matter.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:29 AM

Are you washing your quilt top or is a complete quilt, meaning, it's quilted and bound? I rarely pre-wash my fabrics, sometimes use a scant seam, but have not ever had what you're describing happen to me.