Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Borders Help

Unhappy Borders Help

Hi all,

I am making my Grandson a spiderman quilt and I am at the borders. It seems that my borders are coming out wonky. I am being carful to just glide it threw but it has happend on each side I have done. not sure what I am doing wrong ? Help... Blossom
    Blossom

Blog Entries
    I think we're supposed to measure through the middle vertically and horizontally of the quilt and cut borders per that and if the quilt is a little longer on the sides and top than the measurement, ease it into the border. Wait on someone else to tell you the answer.

Barny is right. Measure vertically in the center to get the measurements for your side borders. After you have the side borders on, measure horizontally through the center to get the size to cut your top and bottom borders.
    Gloria 

Pin the borders on starting in the center, then sew with the quilt top next to the feed dogs and the border on top.

Blog Entries
    and perhaps you could make your stitch length a bit longer or use a walking foot to ease the fabric more. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Pin the borders on starting in the center, then sew with the quilt top next to the feed dogs and the border on top.
    Thank you. What I have been doing is, Taking my border and sewing from the top down. With the border on top and quilt next to the feed dogs. Then I cut it to size. Is that what I am doing wrong. I should pin from center then sew. I am not pinning it at all. Just sewing it on. So that is wrong ? ok Next border I will pin from center down. Thanks again for your help. Take Care Blossom
    Blossom

if you don't measure the quilt and then cut the border, you'll end up with a ruffle.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    if you don't measure the quilt and then cut the border, you'll end up with a ruffle.
    Yes that is what happened. lol
    Blossom

Some quilters take three measurements horizontally (and vertically), top, center and bottom. Then they take the average to cut the borders. (Hopefully thay are not too far off in these places.) pin them and make them fit! Don't cut anything off.

Blog Entries
    You can also sew from the center of the border to the end. Sew the first half and then turn the top over to do the other end from the center out. I do this all the time.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast