Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Borders

I think I may have messed up. My quilt is wide enough, but the length is not long enough. Would it look stupid to put borders just on the top and bottom and not the sides? Any other suggestions that might work?

Banned
    I would add strips to top and bottom to lengthen it and then add a border all around to finish it off. Depending on the design you might add a top and bottom inside border made up of narrow stips to lengthen it. I believe just adding to top and bottom without a final border might make it look unfinished. I have done this by making a strip of diagonal strips reversed in the center to make a V. Adds a bit of creativity tp the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    I would add strips to top and bottom to lengthen it and then add a border all around to finish it off. Depending on the design you might add a top and bottom inside border made up of narrow stips to lengthen it. I believe just adding to top and bottom without a final border might make it look unfinished. I have done this by making a strip of diagonal strips reversed in the center to make a V. Adds a bit of creativity tp the quilt.
    I'll second that! You might do it with strips, printed or plain. Or possibly using pieced blocks that coordinate with the rest of the quilt.

mrsmail, I'm glad you ask, I have the same problem only mine is in the width,seems like we all have off days

d.swindle

what if you add more to make at look like a pillow cover ?

Blog Entries
    can you add to sides and bottom, then use the extra length to put under the pillows a bit? it would look better if you could do three extra borders but i've seen quilts with extra side borders. so either would work.

I would do two small stripes of color with one larger strip on the outside for both ends that you want to lengthen.

Blog Entries
    Make it as long as it needs to be and then put a smaller border all the way around at the end to draw it all together. I have had to do this and works great.

What about adding the borders on just the top and bottom, but instead of going straight across, have a 90 degree turn up to the border already there? Do this on each corner. Does this make sense?

If the top of your quilt is meant to be tucked under the pillow, that's a perfect place to add a whole section that is completely different at one end. It does mean that the quilt has a top and a bottom, but it can be very effective on the bed. Otherwise, just add borders where you want to. Nothing says they have to be symmetric. Make it interesting!