Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Borders >
  • Borders

• Borders

Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 PM

Me too or three!!!!! I have been making a lot more pieced borders lately and really like them. But do sometimes have that narrow border between the two
    Old 12-20-2010, 04:06 AM

I think this was a great question and I enjoyed reading all the replies...Thanks for asking it:)
    Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 AM

No, you are not the only one that think plain borders are boring. I do think that a lot of people get tired by the time they get the blocks pieced that they don't want to piece the border also. They just want to get the quilt finished. I know I have felt that way. But I do enjoy the pieced borders. I've done a few quilts without borders, just made extra blocks and have thought they have looked great. I have also done a couple of quilts that have had scrappy borders, and some wall hangings that have had pieced borders. Sally Schneider has a book that is all about pieced borders and how to plan them, because they have to be the right size to fit the center. Also Judy L. at Patchwork Pieces blog (I think that is the right name) makes a lot of her quilts with pieced borders and they are beautiful.
    Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 AM

I love pieced boarders and appliqué too. I am not a lover of plain but do sometimes use them. Most of the time my problem is making a pieced boarder that fits. If the pattern doesn't include a pieced boarder in the pattern it is not alwayS easy to make to fit, especially for beginners. I think I am gaining experience am might be able to start tackling them more.
    Old 12-20-2010, 12:10 PM
    Banned

Whatever you do, try not to use stripes in your borders, especially thin ones. Too hard to keep the stripes in the border fabric even with the edges of the body of your quilt. IMHO.

Dana
    Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy
    Am I the only one that thinks plain borders are overused? I understand some quilts need them but I'm getting tired of seeing quilts with one thin strip and one thick strip of fabric. I'm trying hard not to do that anymore.
    probably because a pieced border around the quilt make take as much, or more, time than the quilt .
    Old 08-28-2011, 04:30 AM

When I first started quilting (last November), the book I read said that the border was the frame to the quilt and only discussed plain borders (with different methods of doing the corners).

Only recently, I've become aware that they could be pieced.

So, are borders the frame (or matting and frame if you use a double border) or are they part of the design or a complementary design? How did you know if you need a border or what type of border to use?

The more I learn about quilting, the less I seem to know.
    Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 AM

I think the border is like a picture frame. Some don't need a frame some do. I usually hang the finished quilt on the wall and look at it sometimes for several days. It usually "tells" me what is needed. I try not to have the attitude to "just get 'er done". You notice that I said TRY. Rarely successful.
    Sue