Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bow Tuck question >

Bow Tuck question

Bow Tuck question

Old 08-03-2011, 08:08 PM

I'm with moonwork42029 -- I've used fabrics other than cotton, too. The important thing to use is the deco-bond for the interfacing. It makes the bag "sit up". :) Oh - and I've used cotton from expensive quilt shops and cottons from Joanns' -- doesn't make any difference.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
I have used super nice quilters cotton to fat quarters from walmart and have had wonderful results. My next one will be from light weight denim. I just ordered my magnetic closures from Lees Crafts and Things and got 25 for $23.23 total way cheaper than I found anywhere else. I would figure your total batting needs for the fusible pellon and use a coupon as I paid nearly $8 per yard at Hobby Lobby. Use heavy weight interfacing for pockets if you are on a tight budget and they still come out very nice. I have had a lot of fun making mine.
oh wow, maybe I need to make a trip back to Joanns! The one near us has 5 yd. bolts of fusible interfacing on clearance for $10. I'd never bought it before so didn't realize it's that expensive!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:08 AM

What do you all use for the bottom base? I have one done and don't know what to use. Mat board??
Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
What do you all use for the bottom base? I have one done and don't know what to use. Mat board??
I use mat board and have also used sturdy cardboard and foam core board. Just make sure you remove the insert when you wash it!

Good luck and Have fun!!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:06 AM

Yes, I fuse the interfacing to the pocket linings. For the bottom base I use two needle point plastic canvas for added thickness. One is good, two really keeps the corner points in shape and much sturdier. The added advantage is if the bottom gets wet in weather, spills, or accidents the plastic doesn't need to be replaced.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:17 AM

I use cotton fabrics too - that is all I own - just my preference. I use either cardboard and cover it or found some foam core board from Walmart and used that too. Problem I am noticing is the bottom board tends to work its way up while using the bow tuck purse - does anyone else have this problem? and what did you do to fix it. I am thinking I need to put velcro on the covered mat at the bottom of the purse to keep it intact - otherwise it gathers all my change and etc then it starts working its way to the top. Hope I haven't confused you - these are really fun to make and everybody loves them...
Old 08-04-2011, 12:26 PM

You all are supper and quick with a lot of info. Thanks so much. All I have to do is get the magnets and something for the insert.
Thanks again. Anna