Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bow Tuck question

Blog Entries
    This might be a weird question but I am unsure. The question is what type of fabric are you suppose to use for a Bow Tuck Purse? I just received my pattern today, it does not suggest what would be the best fabric to use.. I have a lot of cotton fabric, that is all I buy.. I have nerve made anything but clothes and quilts. I have seen so many beautiful Bow Tuck on this board, that I decided to make them for x-mas for my 4daughters and 2granddaughters. I also would like to know how to put a magnetic closer instead of the button and loop.
    You all are so helpful to me in the past. I know that I will get great info again. Thank you Anna

Cotton

Blog Entries
    Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure cotton is fine. I think that's what most use. You can use fusible interfacing in it for sturdiness.

Mostly I use quilt store quality cotton. I did make a large one with canvas for the bottom part and it turned out great. It's very sturdy.

Blog Entries
    I'm going to make a bow tuck and I just purchased some cotton fabric for it. I also bought a magnetic closure at JoAnns that you can just sew in place. I've seen some of these done and look forward to trying it.

I've used both quilters' cotton and decorator fabrics, it's up to you!

I always use a magnetic snap which I attach to the lining before sewing the outer bag to the lining. I use a small piece of cardboard or vinyl on the wrong side of the lining before I turn the prongs of the snap down. It helps prevent any wear on the lining as the snap is used.

I use good quality quilters' cotton; this bag looks great in batiks.

Have fun making them!

I have used super nice quilters cotton to fat quarters from walmart and have had wonderful results. My next one will be from light weight denim. I just ordered my magnetic closures from Lees Crafts and Things and got 25 for $23.23 total way cheaper than I found anywhere else. I would figure your total batting needs for the fusible pellon and use a coupon as I paid nearly $8 per yard at Hobby Lobby. Use heavy weight interfacing for pockets if you are on a tight budget and they still come out very nice. I have had a lot of fun making mine.

I used leftover pieces of upholstery fabric, flannels, brushed suede along with your plain ole cotton. I really think this is one you can use whatever you dream up...or at least I have :)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
    I have used super nice quilters cotton to fat quarters from walmart and have had wonderful results. My next one will be from light weight denim. I just ordered my magnetic closures from Lees Crafts and Things and got 25 for $23.23 total way cheaper than I found anywhere else. I would figure your total batting needs for the fusible pellon and use a coupon as I paid nearly $8 er yard at Hobby Lobby. Use heavy weight interfacing for pockets if you are on a tight budget and they still come out very nice. I have had a lot of fun making mine.
    I appreciate your info on the pocket interfacing. Did you use the iron on heavyweight? Can't wait to try my first bag.
    Jan

I'm with moonwork42029 -- I've used fabrics other than cotton, too. The important thing to use is the deco-bond for the interfacing. It makes the bag "sit up". :) Oh - and I've used cotton from expensive quilt shops and cottons from Joanns' -- doesn't make any difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
    I have used super nice quilters cotton to fat quarters from walmart and have had wonderful results. My next one will be from light weight denim. I just ordered my magnetic closures from Lees Crafts and Things and got 25 for $23.23 total way cheaper than I found anywhere else. I would figure your total batting needs for the fusible pellon and use a coupon as I paid nearly $8 per yard at Hobby Lobby. Use heavy weight interfacing for pockets if you are on a tight budget and they still come out very nice. I have had a lot of fun making mine.
    oh wow, maybe I need to make a trip back to Joanns! The one near us has 5 yd. bolts of fusible interfacing on clearance for $10. I'd never bought it before so didn't realize it's that expensive!

Blog Entries
    What do you all use for the bottom base? I have one done and don't know what to use. Mat board??

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    What do you all use for the bottom base? I have one done and don't know what to use. Mat board??
    I use mat board and have also used sturdy cardboard and foam core board. Just make sure you remove the insert when you wash it!

Good luck and Have fun!!

Yes, I fuse the interfacing to the pocket linings. For the bottom base I use two needle point plastic canvas for added thickness. One is good, two really keeps the corner points in shape and much sturdier. The added advantage is if the bottom gets wet in weather, spills, or accidents the plastic doesn't need to be replaced.

I use cotton fabrics too - that is all I own - just my preference. I use either cardboard and cover it or found some foam core board from Walmart and used that too. Problem I am noticing is the bottom board tends to work its way up while using the bow tuck purse - does anyone else have this problem? and what did you do to fix it. I am thinking I need to put velcro on the covered mat at the bottom of the purse to keep it intact - otherwise it gathers all my change and etc then it starts working its way to the top. Hope I haven't confused you - these are really fun to make and everybody loves them...

Blog Entries
    You all are supper and quick with a lot of info. Thanks so much. All I have to do is get the magnets and something for the insert.
    Thanks again. Anna