Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Brazilizn Embroidery, anyone?

Yes, I know this is a quilting forum, but a lot of us do other things too. My LQS has been offering Brazilian Embroidery classes which I am enjoying, and I was wondering if anyone else here does it.
    Janis

Janis, what exactly is Brazilian Embroidery. Anything like ribbon embroidery or Stump work??

Blog Entries
    I would like to know also. Do you have any pictures ?:

Just Googled it and its three dimensional embroidery here is a link to some stitches.

Very interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZonuLuNd2I

Blog Entries
    I googled it and it is very beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Oh my yes years ago, I taught myself and won a blue ribbon in the county fair for a pillow i did,this must have been 15 or more years ago. infact my eyes got so bad that when I was in calif several years ago i gave all my supplies away books thread everything the sad part, the year before i just rebuilt my thread stash to the toon of 300. its beautiful three dimentional embroidery.
    Have a fantastic time learning this!!!
    this is a link to what it looks like not my work unfortunatly it was before computers and digital cams
    http://www.google.com/search?q=brazi...iw=956&bih=647

I learned to do Brazilian embroidery almost 30 years ago. The designs are so beautiful. It looks so intricate, but it's not hard to do. The threads used are essential to the finished look of the design. I love the look. The local needlework store that carried the thread has gone out of business and it's hard to find thread anymore. I have quite a bit of thread on hand so I'm still able to do the embroidery.

Brazilian Embroidery is done with rayon thread, which is shiny and done with 3 dimensional stitches. It is much prettier in person than is shown on the net. Of course I'm just learning the stitches and have a way to go before mine look great. There are places on the net where you can order thread, as well as the LQS I go to. I was very fortunate to have a friend offer me her mother's thread. She told me about it and asked if I'd like it. I looked on the net to see what she was talking about and told her that I'd have to think about it. Then my LQS offered classes, and I said YES! I have some of the Varicor thread from Brazil that is no longer made, as well as EdMar thread that still is made in the US. Now I want some of the older books that show how to do the embroidery and also some free patterns. I haven't found very many free patterns on the net so far, and am hesitant to use some of the copyrighted ones without buying them. I don't have any pictures of what I've done, and can't post them anyway. I have that very slow dial-up that doesn't let me do it, sorry.

My mother does it. I tried but it just wasn't my thing. It is so beautiful! Share some pics of your work! I would love to see them.