Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breaking thread

Blog Entries
    I am wondering if any one here has heard of a silicone spray to put on your thread to prevent it from breaking while you are quilting. I did not know there was such an item but a friend mentioned it to me, but I don't know where to buy it.

Its called sewers aid, you can get it at Amazon, createforless. If you google Sewers aid a long list of distributors will come up. I think softexpressions.com has it for under $3 a bottle right now.

Oops forgot to say that sewers aid is not a spray. You can get the spray on machine embroidery sites. However I dont know the name of it. My local embroidery machine shop carries the spray it also helps with the gumming of needles when using a sticky stabilizer.

Blog Entries
    Thank you very much.

Here's another good product for that. You just run your threaded needle over the top. The little box lasts a long time and I've had really luck with reduced breakage when using it.

It's called Thread Heaven, here is a link, you might be able to find it somewhere else cheaper, but this gives you a start.

http://www.amazon.com/Thread-Heaven-.../dp/B0019CYD42

Blog Entries
    Thread Heaven is for hand sewing. It's good stuff. I use Sewer's Aid for machine sewing. I put a couple of drops on the spool of thread. It really helps when winding a bobbin. And if you put a drop or two in you hand and apply it to your hair, it's great to bring shine and stop the fly away frizzies. It's much cheaper then buying the product in the hair aisle and it's the very same thing. The hair product is thinner and cost 3x as much.

I've used Swerer'sAid on thread in every machine I have, even my computer one. No build up are any problems at all.

Sorry! I didn't realize the topic was machine quilting.

Blog Entries
    i've never had a breaking thread problem. i'm not sure what would cause that in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i've never had a breaking thread problem. i'm not sure what would cause that in the first place
    tension problem somewhere? maybe thread is fraying? Not using quilting needle to machine quilt?

Blog Entries
    Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. My friend an excellent quilter has the same problem occasionally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast