Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Top thread keeps breaking! >

Help! Top thread keeps breaking!

Help! Top thread keeps breaking!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 AM
k3n
Power Poster

OK - I'm stabilising the edge of a quilt before binding and my top thread keeps breaking. Tension is set where it always is for this - 3.5. I changed the needle for a new one, I even tried a different spool of thread in case it was 'faulty' although it's the same brand I always use and never had trouble before. And I unthreaded and rethreaded in case something was wrong there. It sews for about a foot then snaps! Grrrr! I'd just SID quilted the whole quilt with it - no problem; it's a new (to me) machine I recently bought off a friend and I can't believe it's faulty; any ideas, anyone?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

that is weird that it's acting up now

do you think something may be stuck in the threading path?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 AM

It is almost always: Needle, Thread or Tension.

Is the eye of the needle large enough for the thread?
Also, Needles can be faulty.
Is your bobbin area clean?
Is the thread getting caught on the spool?
You are positive the machine is threaded correctly?

If everything else seems fine, adjust your upper tension.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 AM
k3n
Power Poster

you can open a door on the end of the head, where the light bulb is. I had a look in there but couldn't see anything. I've put it away in disgust and got the old one back out! I thought of getting DH to have a look at it tomorrow - he's home late tonight and probably the last thing he'll want to do is surgery on my sewing machine! I just thought maybe someone here had had the same problem and could think of something I missed! How would I check the threading path other than what I've done?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
It is almost always: Needle, Thread or Tension.

Is the eye of the needle large enough for the thread?
Also, Needles can be faulty.
Is your bobbin area clean?
Is the thread getting caught on the spool?
You are positive the machine is threaded correctly?

If everything else seems fine, adjust your upper tension.
It's a brand new schmetz needle but I can try the one from my old machine which I KNOW is fine. I just whizzed my little brush round the bobbin and feed dogs - I always do that aftter quilting to get rid of the fuzz. Nope, the thread is sitting fine on the spool; and I checked my threading and am positive it's done right; could the tension discs be faulty? I tried reducing the tension to 2 which is way low and it STILL did it!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 AM

K, this may be a stupid question, so forgive me.... Did you call your friend and ask if she ever had the same problem?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ducky
K, this may be a stupid question, so forgive me.... Did you call your friend and ask if she ever had the same problem?
Ermmm - I thought of that but I thought I'd try you guys first; I didn't want her to feel that I was complaining! :oops:
Old 06-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

There can be lint stuck between the tension discs in the upper thread path. If you have some *unwaxed* dental floss, you can try sawing that back and forth between the discs. (Do not used waxed dental floss!)

You didn't change the bobbin, did you? I once fixed a machine that was having this problem because the user had inserted the wrong plastic bobbin (one for another machine). The two bobbins looked very similar so it was an easy mistake to make.

If there is a tiny piece of thread caught anywhere in the lower area, that can cause this problem also. I usually take the entire bobbin assembly out and look carefully everywhere to see if I can spot a piece of thread. Check the bobbin case also; sometimes there is a tiny piece of thread caught in the spring tension mechanism where the thread feeds out.

Also check that the thread on top is not getting caught in the spool as it unwinds. I have had it hang up intermittently on the little nick in the spool designed to hold the thread end in place, and that can cause the thread to break too.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I DID change the bobbin! I'll go and change it back to the metal one that came with it! I thought the one I put in would fit - they're the universal ones I got and used fine with my old machine; will let you know how i get on! Thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 AM

K

My old Pfaff used to play up sometimes like this & usually it was the tension discs needing adjusting only very slightly. On one occassion I discovered it was due to an uneven threaded bobbin. Sorry other than that I don't know what to suggest - maybe:

Stroke it gently & tell it Mummys loves you - SO GET TO WORK :lol:

Tisha - Good Luck :wink: