Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
breaking thread top of machine and from bobbin >

breaking thread top of machine and from bobbin

breaking thread top of machine and from bobbin

Old 09-26-2013, 06:41 AM

Default breaking thread top of machine and from bobbin

I just recently purchased a juki 2200 long arm and I am having trouble with thread breaking . I am new to the long arm machines. any idea???

thanks,
Old 09-26-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I always try to think TNT when I have problems, great place to start - thread, needle, tension.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:15 AM

thank you so much
Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 AM

Are you using old thread? Is the needle the right size for thread thickness? Maybe burrs on needle or somewhere else on the thread track? Are you going too fast for the type of thread you're using? Is the top tension adjusted properly for the type of thread? Have you checked the bobbin tension as well? Is the entire bobbin area and the case clean and lint-free?? Have you oiled the machine? Also, sometimes putting a drop of oil inside where the bobbin mounts (the bobbin case) before you replace the bobbin can help with broken bobbin thread...just remember to sew on a scrap fabric sandwich before resuming stitching on a quilt to eliminate any oil that might be drawn up with the first stitches

Last edited by Baloonatic; 09-26-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

This Youtube video has helped many:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

Also, you need to post what thread you are using and what needle size.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Lots of reasons why it's happening. Is your bobbin in its holder correctly, clockwise or counter clockwise.....was your bobbin wound correctly, is your thread in the bobbin and top the same weight? ie: 40 wt in each or 30 wt or 50 wt, etc.

In my Gammil is the needle is off center just slightly it makes a huge difference, also needles are not inspected and can not be perfect out of the box.

Do you have a fuzz ball somewhere in your bobbin area that is interfering??? If all else fails: but your thread from where you cone of top thread is, remove through the needle and RETHREAD, don't just tie on and drag your thread thru.

Slow down, breath, and eat a piece of chocolate.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:20 AM

After eating chocolate, make sue your bobbin case is firmly set in the machine. My QVP seems to have a second small snap which means it's totally in correctly. It can fool you I'd you don't get the case all the way in, it will feel like its set, but then the thread keeps breaking. Takes some practice. To do this totally by feel, but after mastered no more broken threads!