Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Breast Cancer quilt information >

Breast Cancer quilt information

Breast Cancer quilt information

Old 03-18-2014, 07:26 PM

I don't have breast cancer, but I do have many other health problems. I don't believe that my illness is all there is to me, and when people push the ribbons and colors and what not I feel like they are saying that is the only thing about me that matters anymore. I know that's not what they mean, and many people with health problems don't feel that way, but I do. Some others just don't want yet another reminder.

For someone you don't know well, I would not do ribbons. Do you know what colors she likes? If she has historically worn a lot of pink or used it some in decorating or what not I think using pink would be fine, because she likes it. But I'm not sure using pink only because it's breast cancer's color is the greatest idea.

I would use colors you know she likes, because there are no risks of that being a painful reminder.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:59 AM
Power Poster

Hi quilters,

Thank you for all your comments. They were all great ideas. I was really taken by surprise that my son suggested this. I did tell him to ask his friend about if he thinks his mom would like a blanket and also favorite colors or her favorite things she like to do or collect.

Thanks again,

Sue
Old 03-19-2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by SueDor View Post
Hi quilters,

Thank you for all your comments. They were all great ideas. I was really taken by surprise that my son suggested this.
Sue
You have a great kid there.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 03-19-2014, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Charming View Post
I agree with a lot of members here..it is personal preference but I think it would be appreciated no matter what color. With that said I made my cousin a Breast Cancer quilt around Christmas and sent it overseas to her (which she LOVED) and it was pink and used a prayer panel in it and flannel. Here is the original thread where I showed it:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/persona...n-t237188.html
Wonderful quilt. "Pink" comes in many shades from the very palest all the way to fuchsia and perhaps beyond that.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM

I've given small pink ribbon quilted wall hangings to two of my DIL's friends. The response I got from them was amazing!.Every time I read the thank you card from one of these survivors, it makes me cry. She could not believe that someone she did not know would take the time to make something so beautiful for her. It also makes her heart smile. These are her words.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I agree with Stitchnripper. As a cancer survivor I would't want to look at pink ribbons or a pink quilt. I would want a warm soft quilt out of some muted colors that would be soothing. I don't think being reminded of having cancer every time I used my quilt would be very comforting.
Well said. I was thinking the same thing. If I had cancer, I would much rather be looking at a quilt that made me smile than one that reminded me that I have cancer. Just remember, you want to give her comfort, not remind her of her illness. Avoid pink and ribbons.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:38 PM

A few years ago there was a heart shaped cushion for people with breast cancer . What happened to the pattern I've been looking and can't find it anywhere.
I would make a wild quilt in many colours to be as bright and cheerful as possible. Personally I hate pink. Nothing to do with having had cancer although just got over a scare.

Why not let the 2 boys select a pattern or colour ideas instead of asking her.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I agree with Stitchnripper. As a cancer survivor I would't want to look at pink ribbons or a pink quilt. I would want a warm soft quilt out of some muted colors that would be soothing. I don't think being reminded of having cancer every time I used my quilt would be very comforting.
I agree, I was given a cancer pink ribbon quilt and gave it away. I don't want to be reminded and I am in my fifth year as a survivor.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:16 AM

I'm currently dealing with breast cancer (mastectomy is done, waiting to find out about chemo), and while I would loooove a pale pink quilt - because that is one of my favorite colors - I would really prefer not to have one that screams "breast cancer" every time I saw it. Something in her favorite colors, or something that goes with the decor of her home, would be preferable, in my opinion. As far as batting, I'd go with light or medium, but again, that's just my preference; I'm not usually a fan of pouffy quilts. Size, maybe lap size or something large enough to cover her entirely, neck to feet. I know when I got home from the hospital, I was freezing for the first couple of weeks and always wanted something to keep me warm (of course, it was also January and the middle of that polar vortex mess, but even if she does treatment in the summer, there's always air conditioning to contend with). Anyway, I think it's really sweet of your son to suggest it!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Two years ago my 33 year old niece was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a double mastectomy, chemo, radiation, and hysterectomy. She lives in Kansas City and I live in Texas, so we are not near each other. I emailed her, offering to make a quilt, and sending her pictures of quilts I had made, asking her to select a pattern of one that she liked and asking what colors she wanted.

She was delighted. She wanted blue and yellow and flowers. She enjoyed selecting the pattern and giving me guidance in the fabric selection. She wanted a cheerful quilt. It has been one year since her breast enhancement....I think that is what it is called....including tatooed nipples! She is such an inspiration to us all.

My message is that maybe you could involve the lady in your plans. My niece told me that thinking about the quilt helped her a lot. I emailed pictures of the process all along the way. It was like she was right here, guiding me into creating the quilt she wanted.

Let me see if I can find a picture of it....in case it helps.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001123.jpg