Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother 1500s setup - inset into table? >

Brother 1500s setup - inset into table?

Brother 1500s setup - inset into table?

Old 04-05-2014, 03:51 AM

Default Brother 1500s setup - inset into table?

I think I'm about ready to get a Brother 1500s machine...I just can't face trying to shove any more quilts through the small throat of my machine. I'd really prefer having the 1500 inset flush with a table rather than dealing with the drag of the quilt over the surround. So I'll have to talk hubby into helping me set it into a table. He's pretty handy so I think we can figure that part out.

Have any of you set the 1500s into the table so that you are sitting at a right angle to the machine rather than facing it? This would give you more play to the right and left for FMQ. See my rough sketch for what I'm trying to ask. There would still be fabric bulk where it hits the throat, but I'm thinking this setup might help with FMQ manipulations.

Also, if you have a 1500 inset flush into a table, are there particular issues with bobbin changes I should consider?
Attached Thumbnails brother1500-table.jpg  

Last edited by Teacup; 04-05-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

does that machine have the bobbin in the front end [as pictured]? if so, you could have a slide out piece at the nose of the machine.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:14 AM

I think the bobbin loads from that end...I was thinking of some type of slideout piece as well. One of the few negative items I've read about this machine in the reviews is that the bobbin change can be difficult. So if anyone has wisdome gained from experience, please share.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:25 AM

I don't have mine set in like your diagram, but do have it set flush in a table. The issue I had trouble figuring out was having enough room to change the bobbin. What I did was make the opening large enough to accommodate the table that comes with the 1500 and has a hinged door on it to access the bobbin. I also like the smoothness of the Brother table -- quilts just glide over it.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:42 AM

The bobbin change should be no problem in that set up. There is an access door on the top of the bed next to the needle plate and another access door in the front of the machine. The whole front opens! With the machine facing you as it would be, I can't imagine why you would have trouble. The mistake people make inserting the bobbin is because they may have been told to hold the little latch open on the bobbin case. There is no need to do this. Insert the bobbin in the case, threaded correctly, of course, and line up the little nub beside the latch with the cut out on the hook race and push it in until it snaps into place. Once you see the bobbin case you'll understand.

Another problem arises if they don't have the needle at its highest position - it is the same with any machine, but the Brother 1500 seems to get a bad rap for some reason.

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 04-05-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:06 AM

I have a Brothers 1500s and my DH made this sewing table for me. He took a old kitchen table put the foam on top and then cut the legs off to make it a good height for me. I do FMQ using this set up but my machine is horizontal since I also use this machine for piecing. I actually keep this table up all the time since it makes a great sewing surface. the bigger throat does make it easier but FMQ on a DM s still hard! I think that your position of the machine would work for FMQ but you still have the bulk of the quilt to deal with in the back instead of on the side. as for changing the bobbin - I lift the machine out of the hole change and then put put down. This is about the only problem with this machine is the side bobbin placement.

Here is the site for making the table-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
Old 04-05-2014, 06:32 AM

[QUOTE=Mitch's mom;6660854]The bobbin change should be no problem in that set up. There is an access door on the top of the bed next to the needle plate and another access door in the front of the machine. The whole front opens! With the machine facing you as it would be, I can't imagine why you would have trouble. The mistake people make inserting the bobbin is because they may have been told to hold the little latch open on the bobbin case. There is no need to do this. Insert the bobbin in the case, threaded correctly, of course, and line up the little nub beside the latch with the cut out on the hook race and push it in until it snaps into place. Once you see the bobbin case you'll understand."

I have this machine and yes the top door of the bobbin lifts up but I can not get my "fat" fingers in the bobbin hole to remove the bobbin without opening the side door. Also I have found that you need to use the bobbin case lifter to get the bobbin out and also make sure that the bobbin is latched securely in the machine case to make sure the bobbin does not pop out. I always lift m machine out of my table to change the bobbin.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 AM

I have a Brother 1500 with an extension table. If you build a little access door into the table, you should have no problems reaching the bobbin.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]470186[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails door.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I have this machine and yes the top door of the bobbin lifts up but I can not get my "fat" fingers in the bobbin hole to remove the bobbin without opening the side door. Also I have found that you need to use the bobbin case lifter to get the bobbin out and also make sure that the bobbin is latched securely in the machine case to make sure the bobbin does not pop out. I always lift m machine out of my table to change the bobbin.
I'm glad you have found a way to use your machine that works for you - it is a wonderful machine, isn't it?!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Thanks so much for all your replies...and the photo is great, Peckish! Thanks.

Bad news is hubby's pickup had a major mechanical issue just today...won't know until Monday how much that's going to set us back. I was about ready to order 1500 this week...I think I may have to wait a bit longer now, depends on the truck repair. I'm going to start to keep my eye out at garage sales and resale shops for an old table that might work.