Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Brother sewing machines >
  • Brother sewing machines

• Brother sewing machines

Old 10-19-2014, 06:07 PM

I have a Brother XL3750 and it has a free arm sewing machine with quilting features. I like it very much.
    Old 10-19-2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
    My daughter gifted me with a Brother Project Runway limited edtion sewing machine. I have always heard good things about Brothers, but the throat space is very small, smaller than my current sewing machine. Can anyone recommend a nice Brother sewing machine with a generous throat space for quilting? My daughter said her feelings will not be hurt if I return or exchange the machine. She wants me to have something I'll be able to use.

Thanks much for your input!
    I have a Brother Nouvelle 1500s which is a straight stitcher. It has a 9.5'' throat and flat bed. It is by far the best machine I have found for domestic machine quilting. You thread it from the side and you also change the bobbin from the side. There is a felting attachment with this machine that will cost extra.

Last edited by jitkaau; 10-19-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    Old 10-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle
    Yep, what she said
    Off topic but I have 3 Boxers that I love dearly!
    Old 10-19-2014, 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=RainyBC;6932833]I love my Brother PQ1500s. It is a very nice machine for piecing and FMQ, but it is straight stitch only so you would need another machine for fancy stitches.[/QUO

Love my Brother PQ1500s!

Last edited by JeanieG; 10-19-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    Old 10-21-2014, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by RainyBC
    I love my Brother PQ1500s. It is a very nice machine for piecing and FMQ, but it is straight stitch only so you would need another machine for fancy stitches.
    The 1500 series have received many positive reviews. In addition to a generous throat size, I would like a machine with a variety of stitches. Hopefully I am not asking for too much from a machine??
    Old 10-21-2014, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
    The 1500 series have received many positive reviews. In addition to a generous throat size, I would like a machine with a variety of stitches. Hopefully I am not asking for too much from a machine??
    You're not asking too much...you'll just have to pay more!! More features = more $$$. I'm not familiar with the upper end of the Brother line - you may just need to go to the dealer and check the machines out in person to find the right machine for you. It's a good idea to do anyway, that way you'll know up front if the machine has any foibles that will drive you nuts (oddly placed buttons, etc.) and you'll also get to see how well the lighting does. Bring your own test fabric, too. Dealers usually have test fabric out but it's highly starched and may not be anything like what you sew with.

Happy hunting!