Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying fabric by the pound

I've been looking at some great deals on fabric by the pound. A few different sites have some great prices like this.

Has anyone bought fabric by the pound? How much fabric is usually in a pound? Do they actually weigh out a pound on scales?

When I've bought things listed by the pound, I've actually weighed it for kicks. It was accurate. How many yards though? I forget...but it would depend on the quality.

Banned
    I did years ago in NYC when Jeffrey Gutcheon had a store in Soho.
    He packed up leftovers to sell by the pound.
    It's how my stash started many, many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123
    I've been looking at some great deals on fabric by the pound. A few different sites have some great prices like this.

Has anyone bought fabric by the pound? How much fabric is usually in a pound? Do they actually weigh out a pound on scales?
    This takes me back some years. When I used to live in Cyprus most of the fabric was sold by weight not yardage. I didn't realise that still happened anywhere. Does it work out cheaper that way?

Quote Originally Posted by loopywren
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123

This takes me back some years. When I used to live in Cyprus most of the fabric was sold by weight not yardage. I didn't realise that still happened anywhere. Does it work out cheaper that way?
    That's what I'm trying to figure out, LOL! It seems like it definitely would.

I'm on such a tight budget right now, deals like this is about all I can afford right now.

the site says a pound is approximately 3 yards

It can be a good deal if you are looking for small pieces. Just remember, sometimes you may get a large piece of something they couldn't sell. I really like the sites that sell fabric by the pound by color or theme.

We have a discount fabric store called SAS here in the valley. Some of their fabrics are by the pound. They use to have all their fabrics by the pound, but I guess it was to good a deal for the fabricholics!

I tried that a few years ago. I got an assortment of the butt-uglyiest fabric of the cheapest quality that I didn't even imagine. I have ended up using it for plant ties, gravel catcher in the yard, bags for spices to simmer, etc. I wouldn't waste my time with something that of such a poor quality. Beware.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast