Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying second hand sewing machines for quilting >

Buying second hand sewing machines for quilting

Buying second hand sewing machines for quilting

Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 AM

It's really hard to make the right choice for someone else regarding a sewing machine. Perhaps sound her out and offer her a day of testing sewing machines, all the while letting her think it is for you. If she knows you are financing it, she may hold back to save you money. If she is thinks you need her advice, she may be more open. Make sure you both take along some fabric to sew on, not that stiff and super starched interfacing the dealers and repair people use to show how it sews. I would want to go to more than one dealer too. The personality at one place could make all the difference when it comes time to ask for help if a problem crops up.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:07 AM

*** HI! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:17 AM

Good idea! I bought 2 gently used Pfaffs and both were wonderful! Don't know about on-line. As for very inexpensive but a good machine, look at some to the Brother machines. Some are available at Walmart. I had one and it was a super great machine.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Also if you have any antique malls, thrift stores or Salvation Army stores near you go check them out. It is not unheard of for someone to find a vintage Bernina in such a place. It is advised to go with some thread and a couple of scraps of fabric so you can test the machine and made sure it works.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

Since she is a quilter, she most likely has some very specific features in mind when buying a new machine. I can only recommend that you involve her in the decision. You could have her explain the machine to you and what she does and doesn't like about it. Also, what she would look for in a new machine. Time to get sneaky.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:17 PM

For what it's worth, olde city quilts in Burlington is having a sale Sat. & Sun. Not a long trip from Marlton. Check out teir website. It's a nice shop whether you find a machine there or not. Will probably hit there this weekend myself. Take mom and have a nice quilty day.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:01 AM

Buying someone a sewing machine is like buying someone underwear. We all have our preferences. I would take her shopping and tell her what you want to do. Then let her pick out the machine. And as others have said, go to a reputable dealer....
Old 12-25-2015, 08:54 AM

I bought an older Bernina model 1020 a few years ago and I absolutely love it! Its a work horse no question. I bought a new 1/4" foot for it and it's my primary piecing machine currently. I also have a Janome 11000 and a Viking Designer II as well as a Singer Featherweight which I use for classes. I have a Singer 99 that I love too but it's mostly idle..and I have a green awesome Kenmore that is so sweet I just can't part with it. Have a full set of cams that go with it as well. It was made in late '60's. Both of the latter have their own cabinets. Have a collected a number of Singer Red Eye treadles as well..One has been electrified...I need to find some of them new homes as I'm get crowded out by sewing machine but I love them all!!
The moral of my saga is: don't be afraid to buy her an older used machine..just do your homework and educate yourself about various features.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:38 AM

i was also going to suggest olde city quilts in burlington.....they're very helpful and a great variety of bernina's....a great place for fabric in addition to those mentioned is mouse creek quilts on Rt 9 South in Howell.....great selection and most of those places already mentioned are now having after christmas sales....i know it's a bit of a ride (61 miles each way for me and I live in Summit) but my go to place for prices on and variety of machines remains Pocono Sew and Vac......no, i don't own it. :-)
Old 12-25-2015, 10:50 AM

Check local shops, I even put a machine on craigs list and ebay. There are many honest sellers out there. Just be careful and watch for what others say about the seller. Ebay seems to stand behind the customers