Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying second hand Bernina Q24 - 3.5 million stitches? Or a new juki QVP? >

Buying second hand Bernina Q24 - 3.5 million stitches? Or a new juki QVP?

Buying second hand Bernina Q24 - 3.5 million stitches? Or a new juki QVP?

Old 02-13-2018, 07:50 AM

Lightbulb Buying second hand Bernina Q24 - 3.5 million stitches? Or a new juki QVP?

Hi! I am new to this board and found it while googling Bernina and how many stitches can a Bernina q24 do? So happy to have found this... so I am looking to buy my first longarm. I have a small Pfaff and need more throat space. I found this Bernina Q24 it’s in a store and has been used to do quilts in the store and has also been rented out... it’s done 3.5 million stitches in 2.5 years. Is there anything I should be concerned about? How many stitches does a Bernina do in its lifetime? I am really beginning this journey and just trying to work out if it’s a good purchase or not? I would love any recommendations or thoughts on this as a viable purchase or would it be better to buy a new juki qvp for the same price?
Thanks so much!!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:00 AM
mkc

Well, if you consider the math, 3.5 million stitches at 10 stitches per inch (a figure I found online for longarms), that's 9722 yards of stitching.

Big cones seem to be 5000 to 6000 yards, the small spool-like ones like Aurifil 50/3 are 1422 yards.

So 3.5 million stitches is 1 1/2 large cones or not quite 7 small ones. Doesn't seem like a lot of stitches.

The important thing is how do you like each machine and how good is the dealer for each? I haven't read any complaints about the Bernina longarms; the Juki (if it's the one that can either be sit down or mounted on a frame) have had quite the mixed reviews and I would especially want to buy from a good, local dealer.

Michelle

Last edited by mkc; 02-13-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I also think the number of stitches is not significant. What matters is the machine and how it suits you. I think the Bernina longarms had a problem when they first came out in that their foot placement made using rulers difficult. Don't know if they have fixed that issue. Neither Bernina nor Juki would be my first choice for a longarm. Have you researched all of the possibilities? If you post your budget, you might find additional alternatives. A good rule of thumb for purchasing a longarm is to spend a full year researching and trying out different machines to find the "right" one for you!
Old 02-13-2018, 04:18 PM

I agree with the others. I bought a used Gammill (2006 model) almost 5 yrs ago and you need to remember that you are putting down about 1200 stitches in a very short time with a long arm. I also agree with the others that you need to make sure you've done a thorough search--just like you would in buying a car or home!--and tried out a lot of different ones. You might want to consider one of the ones made for industrial usage like Gammill, Innova, APQS, Nolting, etc as they've been in the long arm business much longer than Juki or Bernina. You can often find one used for about the same price as new Juki/Bernina/Brother long arm and since made for industrial usage, they are still in great shape.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:51 PM

Default Thank you for your wisdom and thoughts!

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I agree with the others. I bought a used Gammill (2006 model) almost 5 yrs ago and you need to remember that you are putting down about 1200 stitches in a very short time with a long arm. I also agree with the others that you need to make sure you've done a thorough search--just like you would in buying a car or home!--and tried out a lot of different ones. You might want to consider one of the ones made for industrial usage like Gammill, Innova, APQS, Nolting, etc as they've been in the long arm business much longer than Juki or Bernina. You can often find one used for about the same price as new Juki/Bernina/Brother long arm and since made for industrial usage, they are still in great shape.

Sorry i am trying to reply to all three of you and hope you all get to see this. Thank you for your thoughts - my budget is ideally $10 000 maximum incl a table but ideallly would like to spend less. I completely agree with you all I need to make sure I can get the support I need for this machine. I would be buying it second hand from a person who is actually closing shop, but I know that there are Bernina dealers close to me. I love your stitch calculations Michelle! Thank you. SO helpful. I don't know much about Gammil and am open to any suggestions... I want to be able to lock the channels and sew straight as well as FMQ and in my research today i see the Juki frame for the QVP cannot do this.... I completely agree this is like buying a car. A lot of research and thinking needed.... thanks for your support in the process.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:25 PM

check out the Long Arm University website--when I was looking she had a great list of features so that you had a way to compare different models. also she lists used machines so you get an idea of price. also check the website of your nearest dealers for each as they may have used machines, too.

I know you are thinking about dealer closeness, but I have to be frank--long arms are so honking big/heavy that good tech support via phone is what is most important. My dealer is 3.5 hrs away; I've had the tech actually at my house one time over a year ago for a general check-up, had a local man whose wife is a Gammill rep (she teaches classes at shows for them) come and do a check-up once--otherwise everything has been via the tech support talking me through issues. Long armers either have a "mechanic" in the house or we become pretty adept at working on our machines! Also there is a long arm for sale (not sure of actual name) page on Face Book. Good luck--I love quilting and enjoy it even more than piecing.

And once you get it try to get to some big shows where there are classes for long arming--I've been fortunate to take from Dusty Farrell, Kim Brunner, Sue Heinz, Angela Walters, Jamie Wallen and Pat Barry--all very good. You might also check to see if there is a regional machine quilters guild in your area (you don't say were you live)--we have one in KC area and meet every other month and it's been a big help for me.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Personally I would buy from a dealer that is going to be there. Some dealers have a problem with being willing to work on machines you did not buy from them. A Bernina will last a long time.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

I bought my Bernina 1230 from a local dealer. A year later, the dealer was out of business.