Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New questions - using salmon colored minky >

New questions - using salmon colored minky

New questions - using salmon colored minky

Old 02-14-2018, 05:45 AM

Default New questions - using salmon colored minky

I have more questions about using my salmon colored minky. Here's a link to my original thread.

Colors that go with salmon peachy pink

I made the attached quilt using it (thanks for the color suggestions!). This one will be auctioned to raise money for a dog rescue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589056[/ATTACH]

It came out nice in the end and I love the softness of the minky backing, but the process of FMQ'ing minky - Yipes!! I've quilted fleece often and enjoy that. I think this is my 3rd time FMQ'ing minky and it's my last!! I knew I didn't have to quilt closely to stop batting movement so I quilted very loosely. Even so, there was plenty of cussing to be heard.

I have enough of this lovely minky for 3 more quilts. I'm thinking of tying them. I've never tied a quilt. Can I have some advice? I've read that I can use embroidery floss - correct?

I have 2 quilts in my den with minky backs made from throws I had in the house. I made those using the birthing method. They are fine for me but I would not want to gift one. That said, I didn't do any tying or tacking, just the edge stitching and they are in great shape well over a year later. That leads me to believe I don't have to do much tying on my new tied quilts. Is that correct?

I think I'll bring the backing to the front as binding again to incorporate the color of the backing in the overall quilt. These are not heirloom quilts. They are donated to fundraisers and meant to be used.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails 10.jpg  

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 02-14-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 AM

I use minky all the time for my quilt backings. I have tied them all with embroidery thread, they are still doing well after many years. I hope to some day attempt to machine quilt. Dont think I'll start with minky
Old 02-14-2018, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by gmasandee View Post
I use minky all the time for my quilt backings. I have tied them all with embroidery thread, they are still doing well after many years. I hope to some day attempt to machine quilt. Dont think I'll start with minky
Thanks for the reply and encouragement! Do you have to use many ties on a quilt gmasandee? I'm thinking since the minky is a solid piece of fabric it would be ok with minimal tying.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:31 AM

What about making flannel rag quilts with the minky on the back?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mrs theo View Post
What about making flannel rag quilts with the minky on the back?
I'm sorry, I don't understand why. Are flannel rag quilts somehow different to tie than a traditional cotton flimsy? I've never made a rag quilt. What is the advantage over using cotton with a minky back?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

nicely done
Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 AM

I think the general rule of thumb for tying quilts is a hand-width apart in all directions. And I believe you would want to use the entire 6-strands of embroidery floss. You would probably want a relatively sharp embroidery/needlepoint type needle to get through the minky as well. Most of those needles are fairly dull. Minimally you'll want a large-eyed needle to not get frustrated getting the embroidery floss through the eye.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Your quilt came out great!
Yes to embroidery floss- 6 strands and be sure to make square knots.
I agree to about 3-4 inches apart.
I've never used minky. I probably won't after what you said! I'm having enough trouble with FMQ lol
Old 02-15-2018, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

Your link doesn't work but I remember it.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:11 AM

Default Minky backing

I have used Minky on the back of several (what I call) comfort quilts. They have been approximately 66" x 77" or so. I've never had a problem quilting these quilts on my domestic machine, however, I spray baste the Minky to the quilt top. I leave enough extra around the edges of the top in order to fold some of the Minky over on itself. (It will usually stick with the over spray around the edges. In some cases, I have had to pin the Minky because of lack of over spray. I use Sullivan's quilt adhesive. I started purchasing Sullivan's at our local quilt shop (in our small town of 1000 people). That store has been closed for some time. I will have to order on line when I need it again. Here is a photo of a quilt I just finished with Minky backing and a photo of the quilt spray can. This can is 9 1/2" tall and cost me $17.00. I have sprayed at least 5 or more quilts with one can. It does not gum up my machine and is somewhat repositional. I lay my backing down (in my home) on a large king-size sheet; Tape the sheet down in several places and then place my quilt on top of the backing, I fold the quilt in half and spray the back of the Minky, I carefully spread the quilt top down smoothing it as I go, then do the same for the other end of the quilt top. This works for me even when I have to manipulate the quilt for FMQ. I do try to quilt over my quilt seams but it is nice for me because I do not have to do heavy quilting. The Minky I used is by Shannon and is called Tie Dye Pastel.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589101[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]589102[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails minky.jpg   spray.jpg  

Last edited by yolajean; 02-15-2018 at 06:13 AM. Reason: adding text