Old 02-15-2018, 06:11 AM
yolajean

Default Minky backing

I have used Minky on the back of several (what I call) comfort quilts. They have been approximately 66" x 77" or so. I've never had a problem quilting these quilts on my domestic machine, however, I spray baste the Minky to the quilt top. I leave enough extra around the edges of the top in order to fold some of the Minky over on itself. (It will usually stick with the over spray around the edges. In some cases, I have had to pin the Minky because of lack of over spray. I use Sullivan's quilt adhesive. I started purchasing Sullivan's at our local quilt shop (in our small town of 1000 people). That store has been closed for some time. I will have to order on line when I need it again. Here is a photo of a quilt I just finished with Minky backing and a photo of the quilt spray can. This can is 9 1/2" tall and cost me $17.00. I have sprayed at least 5 or more quilts with one can. It does not gum up my machine and is somewhat repositional. I lay my backing down (in my home) on a large king-size sheet; Tape the sheet down in several places and then place my quilt on top of the backing, I fold the quilt in half and spray the back of the Minky, I carefully spread the quilt top down smoothing it as I go, then do the same for the other end of the quilt top. This works for me even when I have to manipulate the quilt for FMQ. I do try to quilt over my quilt seams but it is nice for me because I do not have to do heavy quilting. The Minky I used is by Shannon and is called Tie Dye Pastel.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589101[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]589102[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails minky.jpg   spray.jpg  

Last edited by yolajean; 02-15-2018 at 06:13 AM. Reason: adding text