Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Arcadia Avenue

Arcadia Avenue

This paper piecing project is already giving me a headache, anyone have tips for lining up so I don't have to unpick every other seam
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Cute pattern. I found this link to the pattern that links to tips for lining up and sewing 60 Degree Triangles. Maybe that will help??

https://sassafras-lane.com/products/arcadia-avenue

And here is the webpage they are linking too in the above link

https://sassafras-lane.com/blogs/new...g-60-triangles

One trick I do on my own is when piecing completed PP units together I line them up and look where they are lining up by moving the seam allowance out of the way so I am sure they are in the right place, then put a drop of EWSG (elmers washable school glue) and hitting it with an iron to set it, then sew.

I am new to PP so no advice but you'll get some. What a great pattern!

I do a lot of pinning when I am paper piecing. I haven't done this pattern, just a couple of Judy Neimeyer's. It is a pretty pattern. I think it would stretch my skills. I'd love to see a picture of what you are doing.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North
    I do a lot of paper piecing and whenever I have to join pieces that need to match I'll baste a few stitches at every intersection and check. Sometimes it'll take 3 or 4 times to get it just right. I know it's another entire step but it sure beats rippits. Good luck, the pattern is gorgeous.
    Certified basketcase
    Diane

Great pattern!

Here's what I do ......... face the two pieces together, then stab in a pin where they should match.
    Just leave it stabbed in and go all the way along, matching all the points that should match, with stabbed pins, including the beginning and ending marks of the seam.
    I call this, the picket fence!

Then I clip on wonder clips side-by-side all along, keeping the pickets at right angles all along.
    I usually put a pin in the traditional way at the beginning and ending of the row.
    Maybe in the middle, depending on the length.

Once all the wonderclips are in place and those two pins, I remove the picket fence.

Next ... go to the machine and stitch across, removing the wonder clips, just as I come to them.
    If I have done it right .... it matches perfectly all along the way.

Seldom do I rrrrrrrrip it out .........
    And believe me, as I absolutely hate reverse sewing and would remember quite well!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 02-13-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a great PPer but took a class on Judy Niemeyer pattern at last KC Regional Quilt Fest with Jackie Kunkel (CantonWorks Quilts) and she had us use glue to get it all together. Pretty slick--still working on the quilt!

Cool pattern....new to PP so following along on thread for advice.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    I do sort of what QuiltE does, except I'm lazier.

I stab a pin through the seams I'm trying to line up, then I dab a tiny dot of washable school glue in the seam allowance and press it dry. Then I take the pin out and I'm ready to sew.

If you press your seams open, just run a stiletto between the fabrics to un-glue them, then press.

I stab a pin vertically through the point where it's supposed to match and leave it standing up while I hold the two sides together as the machine sews towards it. Can't wait to see your quilt!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Here is one technique that I noted: Paper-piecing tip: cut fabric pieces to the right size every time
    from Quilt Block Bonanza by Nancy Mahoney
    When making a paper-pieced block, I always make an extra photocopy of the block. Next, using a rotary cutter, I cut out the pattern pieces from the extra copy, on what would be the stitching line. Then I use the paper templates to rough cut each piece from the wrong side of the fabric, making sure to include at least a " seam allowance on all sides of each template. If this doesn't help, send me a pm. Good luck! You can do this.

I am working on part of a JN pattern with other guild members. I did learn a lot from the comments on this thread.

Blog Entries
    Best tip I've ever seen for PP; works perfectly:
    http://weallsew.com/how-to-make-paper-piecing-easy/

Quote Originally Posted by baskets4moo View Post
    I do a lot of paper piecing and whenever I have to join pieces that need to match I'll baste a few stitches at every intersection and check. Sometimes it'll take 3 or 4 times to get it just right. I know it's another entire step but it sure beats rippits. Good luck, the pattern is gorgeous.
    Totally forgot about basting, good idea
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Great pattern!

Here's what I do ......... face the two pieces together, then stab in a pin where they should match.
    Just leave it stabbed in and go all the way along, matching all the points that should match, with stabbed pins, including the beginning and ending marks of the seam.
    I call this, the picket fence!

Then I clip on wonder clips side-by-side all along, keeping the pickets at right angles all along.
    I usually put a pin in the traditional way at the beginning and ending of the row.
    Maybe in the middle, depending on the length.

Once all the wonderclips are in place and those two pins, I remove the picket fence.

Next ... go to the machine and stitch across, removing the wonder clips, just as I come to them.
    If I have done it right .... it matches perfectly all along the way.

Seldom do I rrrrrrrrip it out .........
    And believe me, as I absolutely hate reverse sewing and would remember quite well!
    this is what I do but used pins to hold in place. Love the clips though. that would probably work better. I'll start using them from now on. thanks for the tip!!
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Quote Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
    this is what I do but used pins to hold in place. Love the clips though. that would probably work better. I'll start using them from now on. thanks for the tip!!
    At first I used pins ...... the clips are much quicker to install and slide out nicely as you sew along.
    Saves the temptation of running over the pins in place too!
    Pinning, I found caused too many ripples and wasn't always as accurate after sewing as with the clips.

To say the least about the "work" in trying to push the pins into place when you have the bulk of the fabric, the bulk of the seams with number of layers of fabric ... and paper too. Sometimes that can be outright difficult to do ... and this is all supposed to be for FUN, so I am always looking for ways to make the job easier and more FUN!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
    Best tip I've ever seen for PP; works perfectly:
    http://weallsew.com/how-to-make-paper-piecing-easy/
    Wow, thanks for sharing this! It's very helpful.