Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arcadia Avenue >

Arcadia Avenue

Arcadia Avenue

Old 02-14-2018, 05:35 AM

Here is one technique that I noted: Paper-piecing tip: cut fabric pieces to the right size every time
from Quilt Block Bonanza by Nancy Mahoney
When making a paper-pieced block, I always make an extra photocopy of the block. Next, using a rotary cutter, I cut out the pattern pieces from the extra copy, on what would be the stitching line. Then I use the paper templates to rough cut each piece from the wrong side of the fabric, making sure to include at least a ¼" seam allowance on all sides of each template. If this doesn't help, send me a pm. Good luck! You can do this.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:47 AM

I am working on part of a JN pattern with other guild members. I did learn a lot from the comments on this thread.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:15 PM

Best tip I've ever seen for PP; works perfectly:
http://weallsew.com/how-to-make-paper-piecing-easy/
Old 02-14-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by baskets4moo View Post
I do a lot of paper piecing and whenever I have to join pieces that need to match I'll baste a few stitches at every intersection and check. Sometimes it'll take 3 or 4 times to get it just right. I know it's another entire step but it sure beats rippits. Good luck, the pattern is gorgeous.
Totally forgot about basting, good idea
Old 02-15-2018, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Great pattern!

Here's what I do ......... face the two pieces together, then stab in a pin where they should match.
Just leave it stabbed in and go all the way along, matching all the points that should match, with stabbed pins, including the beginning and ending marks of the seam.
I call this, the picket fence!

Then I clip on wonder clips side-by-side all along, keeping the pickets at right angles all along.
I usually put a pin in the traditional way at the beginning and ending of the row.
Maybe in the middle, depending on the length.

Once all the wonderclips are in place and those two pins, I remove the picket fence.

Next ... go to the machine and stitch across, removing the wonder clips, just as I come to them.
If I have done it right .... it matches perfectly all along the way.

Seldom do I rrrrrrrrip it out .........
And believe me, as I absolutely hate reverse sewing and would remember quite well!
this is what I do but used pins to hold in place. Love the clips though. that would probably work better. I'll start using them from now on. thanks for the tip!!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
this is what I do but used pins to hold in place. Love the clips though. that would probably work better. I'll start using them from now on. thanks for the tip!!
At first I used pins ...... the clips are much quicker to install and slide out nicely as you sew along.
Saves the temptation of running over the pins in place too!
Pinning, I found caused too many ripples and wasn't always as accurate after sewing as with the clips.

To say the least about the "work" in trying to push the pins into place when you have the bulk of the fabric, the bulk of the seams with number of layers of fabric ... and paper too. Sometimes that can be outright difficult to do ... and this is all supposed to be for FUN, so I am always looking for ways to make the job easier and more FUN!
Old 02-15-2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
Best tip I've ever seen for PP; works perfectly:
http://weallsew.com/how-to-make-paper-piecing-easy/
Wow, thanks for sharing this! It's very helpful.<button id="tw_schedule_btn" style="padding: 4px 6px; position: absolute; left: 141px; top: 840px; background-image: linear-gradient(rgb(255, 255, 255), rgb(240, 240, 240)); border: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); color: rgb(95, 95, 95); cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 0px 1px; white-space: nowrap; border-top-left-radius: 3px; border-top-right-radius: 3px; border-bottom-right-radius: 3px; border-bottom-left-radius: 3px; font-size: 11px; z-index: 8675309; display: none; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Schedule</button>