Old 02-14-2018, 05:45 AM
KenmoreGal2

Default New questions - using salmon colored minky

I have more questions about using my salmon colored minky. Here's a link to my original thread.

Colors that go with salmon peachy pink

I made the attached quilt using it (thanks for the color suggestions!). This one will be auctioned to raise money for a dog rescue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589056[/ATTACH]

It came out nice in the end and I love the softness of the minky backing, but the process of FMQ'ing minky - Yipes!! I've quilted fleece often and enjoy that. I think this is my 3rd time FMQ'ing minky and it's my last!! I knew I didn't have to quilt closely to stop batting movement so I quilted very loosely. Even so, there was plenty of cussing to be heard.

I have enough of this lovely minky for 3 more quilts. I'm thinking of tying them. I've never tied a quilt. Can I have some advice? I've read that I can use embroidery floss - correct?

I have 2 quilts in my den with minky backs made from throws I had in the house. I made those using the birthing method. They are fine for me but I would not want to gift one. That said, I didn't do any tying or tacking, just the edge stitching and they are in great shape well over a year later. That leads me to believe I don't have to do much tying on my new tied quilts. Is that correct?

I think I'll bring the backing to the front as binding again to incorporate the color of the backing in the overall quilt. These are not heirloom quilts. They are donated to fundraisers and meant to be used.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails 10.jpg  

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 02-14-2018 at 05:57 AM.