Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New juki tl-18 QVP

Blog Entries

New juki tl-18 QVP

I got it! I happened to be at the dealers today taking a class when ups showed up with their shipment of Jukis.

i just sewed a few scraps and its doing great! Ive heard it can go either way with these right out of the box. I was a little unsure about learning to use it, the threading, bobbin, etc. is so different than my brother but aside from some trouble learning to use the threader, its going well.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Congratulations, have fun with it!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Blog Entries
    How exciting...new machines are so much fun! Enjoy your new Juki.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

That's great, Pamela. Have fun!!!

New machines sure are fun! I hope you'll love your Juki TL18qvp as much as I do my TL2200qvp It's really a fantastic machine that sews a fabulous straight stitch through layers and layers of just about anything! And FMQ is terrific on the Juki because of the great visibility under the harp.

It was my 1st machine, and my favorite still, that I found super easy to operate (except that pesky auto needle threader can be finicky depending on what needles you're using!) I don't typically run it at full speed because it's f.a.s.t.! And mine likes to be oiled regularly.

Not sure what feet came with yours - mine came with tons. The few add'l I've bought are the Echo and Ruler feet for FMQ. I use the seam gauge (screws down onto the bed of your machine) often when piecing to keep consistent seam allowances - can't recall if that came with the machine or if I purchased afterwards but I use it often.

Welcome to the Juki Club
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Congratulations! Enjoy your new purchase.

Congrats! Always fun to get a new machine!!
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    How much oil do you typically use at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
    New machines sure are fun! I hope you'll love your Juki TL18qvp as much as I do my TL2200qvp It's really a fantastic machine that sews a fabulous straight stitch through layers and layers of just about anything! And FMQ is terrific on the Juki because of the great visibility under the harp.

It was my 1st machine, and my favorite still, that I found super easy to operate (except that pesky auto needle threader can be finicky depending on what needles you're using!) I don't typically run it at full speed because it's f.a.s.t.! And mine likes to be oiled regularly.

Not sure what feet came with yours - mine came with tons. The few add'l I've bought are the Echo and Ruler feet for FMQ. I use the seam gauge (screws down onto the bed of your machine) often when piecing to keep consistent seam allowances - can't recall if that came with the machine or if I purchased afterwards but I use it often.

Welcome to the Juki Club
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Pamela, I can answer this I think. I add 2-3 drops for about every 8 hours of sewing. I watched a Leah Day video about this and she was using my machine ( TL2010Q). I would guess that as long as your Juki is like mine, and I believe you said it was, that you won't go wrong with 2-3 drops.
    Hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Susie!

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Pamela, I can answer this I think. I add 2-3 drops for about every 8 hours of sewing. I watched a Leah Day video about this and she was using my machine ( TL2010Q). I would guess that as long as your Juki is like mine, and I believe you said it was, that you won't go wrong with 2-3 drops.
    Hope this helps!
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Hope this helps!
    When I took my guide class, I asked about how much to use and she said "a couple drops" so that's what I've been using.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Also you should oil the Race when changing bobbins.

The race is in the bobbin area.

It will be quieter and smoother.

This is what I do and works for me and my Juki TL98 QE.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I need to figure out exactly where to put the oil in the bobbin area, the picture in the book isn’t super clear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Also you should oil the Race when changing bobbins.

The race is in the bobbin area.

It will be quieter and smoother.

This is what I do and works for me and my Juki TL98 QE.
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Congrats. You now own one of the most solid, reliable, easy-to-operate machines on the market today. Oil her and take care of her and she will reward you with years of service. I've had my 2010Q for 3+ years--worked her hard--and never had a moment's trouble. The stitching on these machines is great for piecing and the extension table will help you with FMQ.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

I just very recently, like 2 weeks ago, purchased the Juki TL2010Q and am pleasantly surprised with it! It just proves to me once again you really do get what you pay for because I tried last year to get away with buying cheaper machines and that's just exactly what I got! Hate both of them! But I think me and Miss Juki are gonna become friends real quick!!! Still learning about her but from what I've experienced so far - think we're gonna be besties for a long time to come! Ah, with proper maintenance of course!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by KyStitcher View Post
    I just very recently, like 2 weeks ago, purchased the Juki TL2010Q and am pleasantly surprised with it! It just proves to me once again you really do get what you pay for because I tried last year to get away with buying cheaper machines and that's just exactly what I got! Hate both of them! But I think me and Miss Juki are gonna become friends real quick!!! Still learning about her but from what I've experienced so far - think we're gonna be besties for a long time to come! Ah, with proper maintenance of course!
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Blog Entries
    My juki sets in the bed with oil so I don’t oil extra. Just make sure wick is down and keep an eye on oil level. Man does it ever sew fast. Best make sure your fingers are not in the way. Big harp space nice table that mine came in. Just waiting to get into my new studio to start using it

I also just purchased the Juki2010Q and I love it. I have seven other machines (mostly Viking Huskvarna) and find the Juki much easier to use and faster. The only complaint I have is that it could use more light Of course it could be my old eyes but I purchased a clip on light and it compensates well. Enjoy yours. I sure am enjoying mine.
    Jan

My Juki2010 is still my favorite, even with the electronics no longer functioning correctly. Very glad I learned how to disable them so the machine would still work. Though I miss the thread cutter, I think I like it better with pedal control of needle position. It's actually very easy to stop it needle up or down with just the foot pedal, and I really don't miss the occasional extra stitch it would make so it could stop with the needle down every time.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Macy, I can't get my needle threader to work. It's really a pain. I now just thread it the old-fashioned way.
    I watched every Youtube video and I had success maybe once or twice!

Blog Entries
    I’ve been practicing with the needle threader, I have to change my angle and look at it from the side on the last part to get it to work.
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Another thing with the needle threader is to make sure it is pressed all the way down, and keep it all the way down as you bring the thread straight forward under the metal piece(don't know what to call it, but it's key to bring the thread under it for getting the thread thru the needle) and then guide the thread to the right. It will naturally want to go in the slit, slot, valley etc.(again don't know what to call it) then slowly release the threader and the thread should go through the needle. Hope this helps. Once you get it you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. I don't think the manual emphasized enough about that metal piece directly down from the last thread guide.
    Jan

So happy for you! You're gonna have years of fun with your new toy.

Pamela, I have bought a used Juki 2200 QVP and feel really dumb that I dont undestand how to use the bobbin winder. The instructions are really skimpy. Also, what thread do you recommend using for quilting on this machine?

Blog Entries
    Don’t feel dumb! The manual isn’t that easy to follow. Is there a juki dealer near where you live? I’m sure they would show you how to wind a bobbin if you asked. Also might be able to find a YouTube on how to wind a bobbin...

ive been using MSQC and aurifil and so far it’s been working well.

Quote Originally Posted by mama's place View Post
    Pamela, I have bought a used Juki 2200 QVP and feel really dumb that I dont undestand how to use the bobbin winder. The instructions are really skimpy. Also, what thread do you recommend using for quilting on this machine?
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast